Chapter 25 - Smoke Rings

Start from the beginning

Finally, Benjy nudged Gizelle’s knee with his shoulder, “So you’re note said you wanted help with apparition?” he asked.

She nodded slightly. “If it’s not too much trouble. We’re having another round of examinations and since I didn’t make the cutoff for last year, I never got to test. I’d feel more comfortable with you. Those ministry officials really stress me out.”

Benjy contemplated her words for a moment, “I’ll have to get permission from Dumbledore, but I’ll see what we can work out. Maybe on a trip to Hogsmeade,” he grinned, “but that would mean being seen in public with me.”

Gizelle laughed. “Oi! What’s that supposed to mean? I’m not embarrassed of you!”

“No, no, not embarrassed, just unnerved, right?” he mused.

“Right, I probably owe you an apology...” she trailed off looking at her feet.

“I’m waiting...”

“You were a right twat when we first met.”

He feigned distress, clutching his chest. “Ouch,” he said, “I’d say a bit cheeky...”

She raised her eyebrows at him, “You grabbed my arse.”

“But it’s a nice arse.”

She glowered, her eyebrows furrowed together, but Benjy just shrugged.

“Right,” he said, “So, apparition, aye? We can at least go through the motions. You seem to fare better when you have time to master the movements.” He patted her leg, motioning for her to follow him to the middle of the classroom.

“Apparition, as I’m sure you’re aware, is easier said than done. Of course you have to remember the three D’s. Destination, Determination and Deliberation, but what you must also remember is to have confidence in your abilities.”

Gizelle scoffed, rolling her eyes.

“I’m not joking, yeah?” he defended, “You’re a brighter witch than you give yourself credit for. I see how your friends treat you. Like you need to be taken care of, but you’re stronger than that and you need to start believing it yourself.”

Her expression softened and she looked at Benjy as though she was really seeing him for the first time. “Thank you,” she said smiling as she swayed from side to side, a hint of pink surfacing on her cheeks.

He stopped in his tracks, a crooked grin forming on his features. After a moment he seemed to regain himself and he twisted his wrists forward, rolling back his sleeves.

“Right, well, let’s just get you prepared.” He sidestepped, coming up next to Gizelle. “Visualization is key when it comes to apparition. You have to clearly see where you want to end up. Now, there are a few exercises we can practice to help you with this. Close your eyes.”

She shut her eyes quickly.

“Not so tight. You can relax,” he said with a chuckle.

“Right, sorry,” she said as she peaked up at him, her features relaxing.

“Now really focus on this space. Take in all of its features. What do you feel? What do you see? What do you smell?”

Gizelle closed her eyes for a moment and slowly inhaled through her nose, “You’ve had strawberry jam for breakfast,” she said.

Benjy pursed his lips, “Very funny.” 

She smiled, seemingly proud of herself. 

Gizelle spent the better part of half an hour practicing what she now referred to as the spider squish movement, or rather the sharp turn on the spot required when apparating

They had now found themselves on the floor of the classroom; Benjy sat opposite of Gizelle, resting against his hands that were stretched out behind him. His legs were spread open, one of them barely fluttering against Gizelle’s ankle. They were both on the floor of the classroom. Gizelle was practicing her conjuration, currently sending periwinkle butterflies flying out of her wand. “Look at that, you’re a proper conjurer now!” He said, knocking his foot against Gizelle’s.

She smiled thinly, taking in his words. “Thanks for all your help these past weeks,” she said.

“Not a problem,” he replied with his usual nonchalance.

She grinned, studying his face. It was quite handsome, with light freckles dusting over his nose. 

“How about smoke rings?” she asked, raising her wand in the air. A single ring rose into the air, arching down as it reached its apex. They followed the ring with their eyes, as it slowly drifted down toward Benjy’s outstretched form. It founds its mark, right on the zipper of his trousers where it collapsed, curling upwards over the rest of his pelvis.

They both kept their eyes fixed on the spot for a moment, then met eachother’s.

 “I think we’ve practiced enough for tonight.”

“Right, see you next week.”

Wow... I don't even know where to begin. It's been almost a year since my last upload, and for that I sincerely apologize. My excuses are plentiful, but in the end it doesn't really matter. I am truly sorry for keeping everyone waiting and I thank you for all of the wonderful comments, votes and support everyone has shown, even in my absence. 

If anyone is still interested in reading what I have to write, I hope that you enjoyed this upload. I know that it is extremely short, but I'm already working on the next part and it should be uploaded soon. 

I really hope to be able to continue uploading regularly, but between work and other "real life" commitments, it may be a bit difficult. I don't think I would ever give up on this story, I've invested too much! It may just take me a while to get through it, but I hope you all will stay and enjoy that ride with me :) Much much love!