CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE | TWO MOCKINGBIRDS

"It's a sin to kill a mockingbird

"It's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

~ Harper Lee

▆▇██■

Honestly, Rigel A. Black cannot help, but compare muggle-borns to mockingbirds. His grey eyes linger on the impure families hugging each other on the platform with large smiles on their face before directing his gaze onto the excited little first years buzzing about starting Hogwarts. There is a sense of sadness in his heart at the sight of the pure happiness and joy in their eyes. The children are surrounded by this aura of innocence that Rigel knows will soon disappear as soon as they enter Hogwarts. For the last few years, the darkness within Hogwarts has grown. The muttering about blood purity is louder than ever before, people's acceptance for those who are different is deteriorating at a fast pace, and the separation between the houses are only making matters worse between everyone. Their innocence will be killed during their schooling, they will be exposed to situations that they should never have to face such as dealing with racism and supremacist thinking whether that is based on their blood status, sorting of house or skin color. The world truly ruins any form of innocence people may have especially now with how corrupt their culture is.

Rigel flinches in surprise when a gentle hand is softly placed on his shoulder. He glances towards the source, locking eyes with his twin brother. Regulus eyes Rigel with concern shining in his eyes and a hidden message in his expression: "Are you okay?" For a split second, he wants to say no aloud for everyone to hear including his parents (who are muttering darkly under their breathes about the Evans). He dismisses that and shrugs Regulus's hand off as he sharply nods his head. Sometimes, Rigel wishes that Regulus did not know him as well as the older male did. There are times where Rigel believes Regulus knows him better than he knows himself, and it terrifies him.

"Boys," the twins subconsciously straighten their posture and smooth over any emotion on their face, "this year is very important for the both of you." Walburga grins at her sons yet they could see no love or warmth in her eyes. Orion does not even look at them, busying himself by engaging the Rosier family in a conversation. "I expect you both to be at the top of your year. I want only amazing feedback from your professors and be on your best behavior." Rigel understands the message between the lines she is trying to convey. He could not ignore the amount of people that have been staying at his house or how late they stay speaking to each other downstairs. All conversation usually stops when the twins appear because, according to their mother and father, they are simply too young to be apart of their meetings; however, if they prove themselves this year during the school year, they will be permitted to participate in the meetings. Rigel has a sinking feeling he already knows exactly what goes on in those meetings.