EPIGRAPH

[ "TELL ME, LITTLE BOY, WHAT'S IT LIKE TO LIE" ]

[ "TELL ME, LITTLE BOY, WHAT'S IT LIKE TO DIE" ]

" Dear Brother,

I don't know who to write this to, so I'm writing to you. I know we haven't spoken in years, not since you left home and stopped replying back to my letters. I saw you sometimes at school with your friends and wanted so desperately to speak to you, but from now on, I won't be seeing you around anymore. Even if you hadn't graduated last spring and were still attending school, I wouldn't be seeing you at school.

That's why I'm writing this letter. I needed to know that I sent this to you. I know that you'll probably never open this letter and discard it, and maybe it's better that way than you actually reading this. Maybe it's better that you never know what truly happened to Regulus and me.

I'm currently seventeen. Regulus and mine's birthday is in a week yet neither of us are in any mood to celebrate.

I'm writing to you just so I could tell someone that I don't think I will reach that birthday. That neither Regulus or I will ever graduate Hogwarts and see our adults years.

You see, you were right about the Dark Lord, about our family, about everything. I was just too blinded by upholding the family's honor to see what you were trying to show me this entire time. I see it now. I wish I could run away like you did, to disappear in the world and not have to deal with all of this, but I have nowhere to run. The Dark Lord will always find me no matter how far I run. I can't escape from him now and neither can Regulus. We both took the Dark Mark when we were sixteen. We tried asking you if we could come to Potter's and celebrate Christmas with you, considering you live there now, but you refused to speak to us. Cousin Bella was there, you always did say she was going to be the first one that turns dark. She said she was so proud of me for joining the right cause as were mother and father. Regulus and I didn't feel pride in what we did, we only felt shame. We've never been the brave brothers to speak out and go against our family's values: that was your job. We both like to wonder that if you were still in the family how things could've turned out. Maybe Regulus and I would've never taken the mark. Maybe the three of us could've ran off together. Maybe all of us could be living in the United States and be apart of a muggle band (you use to speak so vibrantly about becoming a bassist). We could've done so much, but you decided to abandon us first.