CHAPTER 28: Tell Me Everything

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I am gone. This isn't Vanessa, it's her twin sister.", I said sarcastically, trying hard to not roll my eyes.

"I didn't know god could make the same mistake twice but what the hell, here you are!",He said dryly, purposefully ignoring my sarcasm.

"You are impossible. Show me your bloody hand...literally.",I said, trying really hard not to blurt out the many adjectives for him, which came to my mind.

He placed his right hand on the table, which because of how stubborn he is, wasn't the hurt one.

I rolled my eyes as he smirked at my obvious irritation, "The other one."

"Why should I listen to anything you say?", He said, trying really hard to to not yell like he did with his employee.

For heaven's sake, I was trying to help him but no, he had to have the satisfaction of irking me to the edge. He had some seriously problematic coping methods!

I didn't say anything more, it wasn't working. I didn't even know why I cared but I did! For some reason, I wanted to listen to his problem, whatever it was.

I drew a chair from in front of his desk and drove it over to his side. I picked up the telephone, dialed nine to call Adrian's secretary and asked for a first aid kit.

Adrian sighed audibly in disapproval and continued typing something on his laptop, with his right hand.

As soon as the first aid kit arrived, I asked Adrian, "Show me your other hand."

He royally ignored me, as if I didn't exist and though I hated it, I bitterly swallowed me pride and said, "Adrian, please!"

He sighed, closing his laptop flap. I thought it would come down with a slam but apparently it was only my laptop that he took out his anger on. I opened the first aid kit, taking out some raw cotton and poured the antiseptic liquid on it.

"You know I can do this myself, right?", Adrian asked, his harsh tone dissipating away.

"Well, you can't tie the gauge bandage with one hand, right? So, when I would do that anyway, I could very well do all of it. Now, give me that hand of yours."

He placed his hand in mine, whose palm was about three quarters the size of his. There was a deep red, three-inch something cut running through the middle of his palm.

"Oh my god! You are lucky it's just a surface cut because these sting as hell.", I said as I placed my cotton piece on his palm, carefully cleaning the wound. He flinched a bit, his posture becoming stiffer but he didn't say anything.

Once I was done with the cleaning part, I wrapped his hand, along with a fresh cotton piece with the gauge bandage and then tied a knot at the bottom. As I examined my handiwork, I asked him the one question bothering me for some time: Why?

He still said nothing. He frowned as he absently stared at the ground, his injured hand still in mine. I wrapped my fingers around his cold ones and asked again, "What's bothering you?"

"I'm fine. And I am not interested in discussing my problems with you, even if there were any.", He said, shaking my hand off his and getting up to face the window overlooking the New York skyline yet again. He just seemed to love it a lot.

I got up, standing next to him and went on to state," Well! I am relatively free today so just in case you change your mind, I am right here."

"That won't happen. I am very ada..."

I never heard the last part though I am pretty sure he meant to say 'adamant'. The reason for this was Bryan.

"Listen Adrian! Oh Vanessa, Hi!", Bryan said as he entered through the door and walked over to the desk.