7. Stay by my side

Start from the beginning

I text her goodnight and remember her words.... I decide to call my mothers. I first call Rebecca and she answers on the second ring surprised that I called her,
"Hello? Jacob? Is everything okay?"
"Ya everything is... okay. I.... Its supposed to be the day you gave birth to me."
"Jacob...." she suddenly sounds sad and sympathetic.
"No... let me finish.... I am really thankful to you for giving birth to me and giving me this life. I know our relationship isn't exactly normal but I am still really thankful and have immense respect for you." She sobs and I feel like a burden has been lifted off my chest.
"I am sorry son that you had to go through all this... all these years." I am about to cry but I stop myself from doing that. I convinced myself a long time ago that I have to fight my own battles and I will never have anybody to depend on and I have to be strong.
"I will take care of Leah whenever she needs me like a real older brother. Don't worry about her." She sobs again and says thankyou. I end the call and a tear rolls down on my cheek. Why am I crying?

I wipe my face and call Jennifer, someone who's actually been a mother to me after my grandmother.
"Jay... you called at this hour? You really do miss your mom alot these days." She tells me sounding happy.
"Ofcourse I do.... mother it's actually.... my birthday and I just called to say thankyou for raising me well so well. I think I have never thanked you for adopting me and raising me like your own son."
"Jay.... you are my son." she too sobs.
"I know you don't want to remember this day ever but I just thought you should know how I feel." Mia has helped me bridge the gap with both my mothers. I talked to both of them but emotionally we had a lot to catch up on and it seems we have today.
"Thankyou for your words Jay." I smile and bid her goodbye and end the call.

I decide to ditch the work and go to my room and lie down on my bed.
Justin.... if you're listening to me... till this day I am sorry for what happened to you. For years I really wished we would have never gone for that drive. Every year on this day I wish you were still here alive. I am taking good care of your mother.... our mother so don't worry.

The image of him in blood can never leave my mind. The sound of him asking for help to me can never be forgotten by me. But I feel at peace today that I am not living your life but a life I made for myself.

With a positive note I sleep and after ages my dreams doesn't have a road full of blood but a feeling of home of Mia's hug.

Mia's pov:
Before I know the weekend arrives and so does the constant messages of Jacob asking me to meet him at his hotel. Do I really have to go there everytime? Why can't he come here to my school? But what possibly can we even do here?

I get done with school work and walk towards the bus stop when my phone vibrates inside my purse. Isn't Jacob being too impatient? I take it out and check only to see its my mother. I panic... is she calling me to tell me about another blind date? When she calls for the second time I pick it up,
"You sure love to ignore your mother and her texts." She tells me sarcastically.
"Ma, I was at school...sorry. Is it something important?"
"Can't a mother miss her daughter? I am at your place right now. As usual I knew you had no grocery and your house looked like a mess so I cleaned everything up.... who's birthday was it? Annie's Birthday is in December. So who's birthday did you celebrate?" Oh god... what do I tell her? I start to stammer.
"Ma.... let's...talk when I am home." With that I end the call as fast as I can and take the bus to home. I text Jacob that I can't meet him and start thinking of ways to tackle my mother's questions. What would she think if I tell her I spent few hours with a guy... she will kill me. Oh god what do I do?

Jacob's pov:
I check the time and wrap things up in the office fast so I could see Mia. I suddenly hear a text ping and see Mia's message that she can't meet me. Did she just cancel our meet? I cleared my schedule for her and she... but what could have happened? I sit back in my office and open some of the files I need to sign but can't get my mind to concentrate. Should I call and ask her?