His piercing blue eyes were always inspecting, like he was waiting to actually find a fault about everything. But I was grateful to him and his family for their constant supports since I was a child. I had never even for once been in lack of anything; they even pampered me so much because I was regarded as the last born that deserved all the doting and attention.

I shook my head and did a skyward eye roll, only to come face to face with young master’s portrait hanging on the wall at the far end opposite to the kitchen, which was where I was standing. As usual, he was staring blankly even in the portrait. As if he was bored of life.

My hands clenched slowly and I stared at his face impassively before turning back to what I was doing.

My mama left the kitchen, so I wiped my hands and took my phone, checking my notifications on Facebook and Instagram.

I sneered when I saw the model my mama had been asking about, heaving a sigh as I clicked on her account and checked her latest pictures. I couldn’t help but heave another dreamy sigh some seconds after.

Melanie Ambrogio was an Italian model and she represented so many agencies worldwide, as long as they could afford her. She was beautiful, carried her body with grace and she had an amazing confidence, and also had the perfect model shape. Her slender figure and burst were really admirable. Most of those that knew her or had been co-starred with her said she was totally humble and easy to roll with but then that wasn’t really my business.

I double clicked on her pictures to signify I just liked them and then left her page, moving to Harry Styles and Zayn Malik's posts and making crazy obsessed comments on them with a goofy grin. My mama entered once again with a sigh, adjusting the mitten as she made sure her hands were comfortable in them.

“What did Gonzalo want the other time?”

“Oh. You know how much of a trouble maker he is. He came to see how his childhood friend was doing.”

“So, he’s also resuming with you guys?”

“Sure. Most universities are resuming the same week. It was just a week break for lecturers.”

She checked the corn soup and hummed in approval, stretching the spoon in my direction for me to have a taste.

“The taste of love is what I call it.”

“Yeah, you’ve given me the taste for years so there’s no way I would magically forget it now, is there?” I raised a questioning brow but she pushed the spoon further into my face.

“Hush and taste it already.”

“This is good mama.” I complimented and licked the tip of my finger properly.

“Lest I forget my dear, kindly get the bath ready for young master. He’s been in his study for a while now.” She spoke softly and returned to her chore.

Stiffening, my face morphed into a familiar scowl. I left my Instagram page, not giving Shawn Mendes’s Picture —where he was staring at something and smiling —a like.

Young master.

I felt my heart thump repeatedly in my chest, feeling cornered.

Now the other stay-in house helps, Mimi wasn’t available at the moment, Stephanie wasn’t around and the last one, Preeti was on a holiday to see her family in India. Dread filled me. Knowing I had no choice, I wiped my right hand where there was still soup stain on my dress and got down from the stool with slumped shoulders, deciding to prepare his bath ASAP.

“Yes mama.” I replied gloomily and exited the kitchen. My legs felt heavy with each step I took up the stairs. Halfway through the hallway, I could already smell his musky cologne.

He was using strong, solid Cologne and it fitted him because he was a solid devil. No, he wasn’t a little demon but the devil himself. Tall, handsome, undoubtedly good looking in a convincing way and had this unnerving aura around him. The fragrance was really strong and I couldn’t avoid it, making me inhale it anyway. I entered the young master’s room and shut the door with a soft click as I entered his bathroom and prepared his bath.

I knew I had to inform him that I had done so. I quickly went into the study and did just that, trying to make as less sound as I could.

“Your bath is ready.”

He didn’t raise his head up, so I cleared my throat slightly.

The tendrils of his sleek black hair fell over his face as he concentrated on the paper works before him and I averted my gaze to keep from staring at him. It didn’t feel totally right to stare. His jaws were tightly clenched.

I couldn’t deny the fact that he was beautiful to look upon though. He had blue orbs that just reminded me of the ocean and a really structured face with a pointed nose. His cheekbones stood proud and defined his slightly rosy lips.

Yes, he was attractive to the eyes and oozed confidence but he was also intimidating in every way and I made sure to steer clear of anything related to him whenever he was around. It had been hard to do before but when I gained admission into the private university, I was glad I wouldn’t have to move around in an awkward air with the so-called young master.

But for now, I had just returned from the private hostel where I was staying and I knew I would just have to bear till I left for school once again.

“Welcome sir.” I spoke so softly that it was almost hard for me to hear myself at all.

“Hmm.” He grunted slowly. Then he raised his head up and fixed me one of his blank looks, succeeding in reminding me that I was wasting his time.

“Yes?” He spoke gruffly.

His expression was still hard, so hard that I wondered what he would look like when he was in his office. His employees must be really intimidated by him. I kept quiet and watched his two eyes look over me, wondering why they suddenly became intense when he clenched his jaws even tighter.

“Speak.”

“Your bath is ready.” I gasped quickly, opening the door and shutting it quickly behind me as I walked away from the man. More like ran.

I knew the man hated me. Now I was convinced that he just did because the raw irritation in his eyes was something I definitely didn’t miss. What was it with that man?

He really did have something up his sleeves, thinking he could treat everyone the way he wanted, especially me. He usually took his time staring into my soul and my heart as if I carried the sins of the whole world and he wanted me to burn.

“You did it?” Mama asked when I got back into the kitchen. I did an eye roll and took a calm exhale.

It was high time I went in search for a job so I wouldn’t have to come home during holidays and so I could make money and start preparing for my own future.

I needed to become independent. It was not like he paid my...oh yes, he did pay my bills. I had more than enough money in my account to buy myself a land if I wanted. But still!

Most importantly, I needed to stay away from him.

*

Meet Kara Wilson. What's your name?