Chapter Twenty

~~~

As Chloé walked home defeated, she heard footsteps behind her, her sense immediately tensing up. The last time, which felt like years to her, she heard the same noise was when Kim rejected her. Technically, the whole journey wasn't a complete failure since she did confess her feelings to him, but in her mind Kim was way beyond her reach since he had recently started a relationship with Alix.

However, Chloé couldn't be mad at him. Kim decided to move on instead of moping about it like Chloé had done. Her mind wandered off to the letter and Lucas, who had written it.

Lucas seemed like a genuinely good guy and Chloé couldn't wrap her head around why Eileen would hurt him.

"He needs someone who will treat him with respect and love him just as much as he loves them." She mumbled, continuing to walk down the sidewalk.

Maybe she could hook him up with someone she knew would be perfect for him.

~~~

Marinette stepped up to Lucas' front door when she stopped in her tracks.

"Lucas, what the hell?" She spat out, her face contorting in frustration.

He smiled sheepishly and stood up from the bench. "I can explain, Marinette."

The bluenette crosses her arms over her chest and raised a brow. "Explain, now."

Ryan stood up. "Allow me-"

"No, no way!" Marinette shook her head profusely.

"Oh come on, you can't hold a grudge forever." Ryan stepped closer to her. Marinette instinctively took a step back.

"I can and will, Ryan." She said through gritted teeth, causing him to chuckle.

"Look, we've had our differences, but can't we let the past be the past?"

"You honestly expect me to forget everything you did!?" Marinette gaped at him. "You were such an asshole to me, leading me on."

"Let's not forget the fashion show fiasco." Lucas added which Marinette nodded in agreement.

"Exactly! That could've been prevented if I hadn't ran into you days prior. Or your nasty girlfriend." She mumbled the last bit to herself.

"Ex girlfriend. Samantha and I broke up."

"So you expect me to rejoice and forgive you spontaneously?" She snorted. "Fat chance."

"Marinette look," Ryan placed a hand on her shoulder.  "You have every right to be mad at me, I know I screwed up and that it would take a miracle to be forgiven, but I'm here to talk about Eileen."

Marinette looked up from his hand with a concerned look. "What about her?"

"As you know, she left but I doubt you know the reason."

She thought for a moment. "Well, no I don't."

Ryan nodded. "I thought so." He took a deep breath before continuing. "Adrien is the reason."

Marinette blinked a few times. "Did I hear you correctly? Did you say... Adrien was the reason?"

Ryan nodded again. "You did and he is."

"But, why?"

"Eileen is in love with him. Not just some crush, she's head over heels." Lucas spoke up. "She's been obsessed with him since high school."

"Why wouldn't she tell me then?" Marinette was confused. Eileen knew Marinette had a crush on Adrien, why didn't she mention hers?

"When she heard about your crush on him, she took a step back. Decided to get you two together and when he disappeared before that could happen, she went after him. Marinette, Eileen has tracked Adrien down every time he's went missing and kept him for herself just so he would be hers for a while. She had no real intention of bringing him back the second time."

"She didn't...?" It seemed as if Marinette's heart broke in two. One half for thinking she wouldn't have seen Adrien ever again and the other for her best friend, or should she say former best friend, for trying to take her husband.

"The second time was supposed to be the last. Eileen had intentions of finding you some guy-"

"Cole..." her eyes widened.

"And once you were happy with him, Eileen would get Adrien to marry her, keeping him for herself for as long as she wanted."

Marinette crumpled to her knees. Lucas immediately rushed to her side. A few tears fell down her cheeks as she pieces everything together.

"It... it all makes sense now." She mumbled. "Cole never had feelings for me... he was... he was hired to distract me." Lucas glanced at Ryan.

"I'm sorry Marinette, you should have never went through this." Lucas wrapped an arm around her.

It seemed like hours as Marinette sobbed in Lucas' arms and when she was finally stable, she stood up and wiped her tears. "Adrien can never know,"

Ryan furrowed his brows, not fully understanding her. "I think he already does-"

"No, I mean, he can never know that I know." She looked at both men. "Okay?"

They both nodded. "The only ones who will know will be us. If it ever spills, it'll mean one of us snitched."

Marinette nodded and sniffled, lost in thought. When she came too, she looked Lucas directly in the eye.

"I've got a plan for you,"

Lucas shook his head. "What are you talking about exactly?"

"I think I know where she's going with this." Ryan stood next to Marinette and smirked.

"You agree though, right?"

He nodded. "Definitely. He's too uptight."

"Hey, I am not-" Lucas began to protest.

"Then it's settled!" She clasped her hands together and grinned.

"What is? What have you two planned that I am missing completely?"

Marinette shared Ryan's smirk. "I'm hooking you up with someone. To get your mind off of Eileen for good."

Lucas did not like where this was going. He opened his mouth to reply but Ryan stopped him.

"You really need to relax. You've been with the same girl for most of your life!"

Lucas had to admit that he wasn't sure how to go about the whole... flirting thing. He never really had to since he had Eileen. Had...

"You know what, why the hell not? I don't have anything holding me back."

Marinette smiled. "Great, Ryan will watch Elliot."

Ryan's eyes grew wide. "Hold on now, he may be my nephew but I've never met the kid!"

"Now's the perfect time since Lucas will be dating again." Marinette giggled and nudged him with her elbow, earning a groan from the other.

~~~

{A/N:} Have any ideas who Mari will pair Lucas up with?

Chapter twenty-one: coming next Wednesday

~miraculousduo♥️