• 8 • Day One - Part Three

Start from the beginning

She suddenly reached over to my lap, where my hands were placed and grabbed one of them. She pulled it back over to her lap and began stroking the back of my hand with her thumb. She was always so warm and it felt amazing. "You're never alone." She told me, looking down at our hands - I knew she meant what she said. She always did.

"Come on." She randomly said, climbing to her feet. I raised my head once again, when I felt my hand being pulled up. I was gently yanked to my feet and into Emily's arms. She gripped me, so that I wouldn't fall and made sure that I'd gained my balance, before letting go.

"Where are we going?" I asked, squinting my eyes once again. She just smiled at me, before reaching down to pick up my shoes. She wrapped one of her hands back around mine, making me feel warm and fuzzy.

"To have fun." She said, simply, before pulling me towards the door. It was always Emily who was making sure I was having a good time, but I wouldn't have wished for it to be anyone else.

I didn't say anything and let her drag me around the hotel, until we reached the pool area. She walked slowly around the edge of the pool, me clinging to her hand like it was my life. Water scared me. Ever since I was little. I was around four years old and the closest thing I'd ever been in to a pool was my bath tub. On the TV, I was watching some show, whilst my mom was making snacks in the kitchen. Then, on the TV, I watched a movie about a little girl drowning and it really creeped me out. A few days after that, my mom had tried to make me go swimming for the first time and I did not comply with her wishes. I had never ever been in a pool and I had planned to keep it that way. I stopped thinking when Emily let go of my hand and dropped my shoes.

"Dani tells me you're afraid of the pool." Emily suddenly blurted out, causing my eyes to snap up to the back of her head. She carefully looked over her shoulder, before stopping and completely turning around. Her eyes were curious and it all suddenly came to me. Emily knew I was afraid of the water, so she would probably try and make me go in, just to get over my fear. I wasn't too keen on the idea.

"No." I lied, feeling like my nose was going to grow longer. If you paid close enough attention when I was too close to a pool, it was so obvious how terrified of them I was.

"Then lets get in." She suggested, crossing her arms and raising a challenging eyebrow. I could tell she knew I was lying, but I really didn't want to get in the pool and I really didn't know how to escape this situation. I looked down at my feet and fiddled with my fingers. As much as I hated to admit it, I was scared. Really scared.

I didn't move and continued to look at my hands, with a sad expression on my face. I didn't want to get in the pool, but I also didn't want to disappoint the girl beside me. It was a tough decision that I really didn't want to make.

I felt a hand on my chin, forcing me to lift up my head. My eyes poured into Emily's the moment they connected and I could tell that she wasn't going to make me enter, but I had a feeling she really wanted me to. Her hand dropped from my chin and fell to her side, as she continued to look in my eyes.

"You know, this morning... Dani didn't want to get into the pool either. She told me she was afraid and when I asked her why, she said it was because you were afraid too," she explained, her eyes soft and honest. "But she ended up getting in and really enjoying herself. Do you know why she ended up getting in?" She asked me, causing me to nod. I just thought it was because Emily was such a good coach.

"She didn't want you to be afraid anymore and thought that maybe if she got in... you would too." She explained, making my heart warm up. Dani was so sweet. I had no idea what I did to deserve her. She got in that pool, no matter how scared she was, just because she wanted me not to be scared anymore. Can she get any cuter? I thought about it for a second and realised I had two people to not disappoint.