Chapter Twenty-One

Start bij het begin

"Great," Aruna murmured. She reached for her sword, but only then realized that it was gone, as was her armor and pack. All she wore were her linen tunic and leather breeches. They'd even taken her boots.

"Well, shit," she muttered.

She heard voices nearby.

"If you aren't careful," a woman's voice drawled lazily, "you're going to bleed him dry. I don't think Alva will like it if you kill her pet."

"So she'll just get another one," a man said, "there's a whole town of people that Master Movarth will let her take her pick from."

Movarth. Aruna remembered the name from Alva's journal. He was the one behind the plan to take over Morthal and the one to whom Alva answered. Alva was scary enough; this Movarth would likely be a total pain in the ass.

Aruna sighed and began to look for a way to free herself. A man's deep groan made her freeze. She recognized that sound.

No...

"Well, well," said a new voice, "it appears our friend is still conscious."

"M-Master," stammered the male vampire, "I was just—"

"I told you to leave him be," Alva's voice was distorted in her snarl, but Aruna still recognized it, "if he dies, Valerian, I'll have your head!"

"Now, Alva," Movarth said, "if I didn't know better, I'd be jealous."

"You have nothing to be jealous of, Movarth," Alva said sincerely, "he's just so lovely, and he tried to fight my seduction so bravely. It would be a shame if he went to waste on someone unworthy."

"So then you don't mind if I have a taste, my dear?" Movarth said.

"Of course not," Alva responded.

There was another low groan, and then Bishop's voice, hoarse and weak, "get the—the fuck away from me...I'll kill you...all of you...bastards..."

Movarth's laugh echoed throughout the chamber, "you were right, Alva! And you say his companion is the same?"

"Oh, you'll love her," Alva said, "so much fight in that one."

"You stay away from her," Bishop snarled. He started to cough, then cried out in pain.

"That wasn't necessary," Movarth said.

"I'm sorry," Valerian replied, "but he's been a thorn in my side since we dragged him in here. Hot blooded or not, I hate it when they talk back."

Aruna had been furiously trying to find a release to her cage during the entire exchange.

I knew I shouldn't have left him alone, she thought, if he dies, it's all my fault.

She forced herself to pause and take another deep breath. It was then, in a moment of relative calm, that she became aware of the slight pressure at her lower back. She reached beneath the back of her shirt and her fingers found the leather pouch she'd strapped to her waist beneath her clothes earlier. She smiled. Aruna withdrew one of her silver throwing daggers from the pouch and used it to saw away at the leather cords of her prison. She was glad that she kept them sharp as the blade cut easily through the old hide. Finally, the front of her cage began to tilt away from her. She caught it and lowered it soundlessly to the floor, then took a moment to kiss the little silver blade.

"I owe you once again, Taran," she whispered.

Aruna crept out slowly, keeping low. The vampires had convened in the center of the chamber, and Movarth was going over the plan to take Morthal. They would move soon.