1

Kamri looked outside her window for the sixth time today. Another police made his way through the neighborhood. Shit was never peaceful in Kamri's hood. She lived in the down side of Louisiana. Baton Rouge to be exact. The police had been hot for days now. Word on the street was that they were looking for some escaped inmate who had made his way towards Kamri's side of town. Families were warnend to keep their children inside or under strict watch, since this escapee was known to have been locked up for several rape charges. Shit was crazy but it really wasn't anything new to Kamri. It was always some weird, fucked up ass shit happening in this city. She just wished she didn't have to be here to witness it.

Kamri sighed. She hated the life that she had gotten used to living. She had been forced to live on her own by the age of 18.  Kamri wondered if there was even any reason to live anymore. But even though her life sucked now, it hadn't always been this way. She grew up with both parents, still married, and a younger brother who was 9 years younger than her. They lived a pretty decent life, too. Her mom was a Real Estate agent, while her father worked at the local construction site. Both brought in decent money. Of course bad luck always seemed to find Kamri, though. On her 18th birthday, she had went out with a couple of her friends from school, only to come home to an empty house. Her entire family had been killed in a car wreck. They had been out getting Kamri's birthday gift, when they were hit by a drunk driver. In a way, Kamri felt at fault. She had been upset at them for not getting her anything, so they were trying to make up for it. She wished she hadn't been so spoiled. It's been two years since the accident, but the pain from losing her family was still there. At the end of the day, they were the only family she had.

She looked at the clock that read 4:15pm. She slipped on her all black running shoes and grabbed her work vest. She knew it wasn't safe to be out here alone, but she did have bills to pay and money sure didn't grow on trees where she was. She had an okay job, though. She worked full-time as a cashier at Wal-Mart, making $11.50 an hour. It wasn't much but it did pay all of her bills and put food on her table, so she was grateful. She was happy that she was only working a 4 hour shift today, from 5 to 9. She wasn't scheduled to work today, but her manager had asked her to come in to help zone some things, and she needed all the hours that she could so of course she said yes.

"Here we go." she sighed as she walked out of the door of her apartment and into the cold, thick air of Baton Rouge, the cold and heartless place that she now called her home.

-

"Bye, Kamri!" Samantha, Kamri's coworker yelled after her. It was now 9 that night and Kamri was more than ready to go home, shower and relax. Samantha was one of the few people that Kamri actually enjoyed working with. She didn't have a problem with anyone she worked with, it was just that Samantha brought such positive vibes and she was a super healthy person to keep around, especially when you needed someone to talk to. Samantha is 23, only 3 years older than Kamri, but she was way more mature than her age.

"Okay, girl." Kamri yelled over her shoulder as she clocked out and walked out the double doors. She hopped in her 2007 White Honda Accord that she had gotten herself about a year ago. She crunk the car, making sure to lock the doors, and headed home. 

Sometimes Kamri wished that she could just stay at work forever. She hated going home. What would she be going home to? She had no family, no friends, no man. Hell, she didn't even have a cat. She did have friends at work, though. Samantha was her closest, but she did talk to other people there. She could actually have more friends outside of work, maybe even a man, but her anxiety would get the best of her. She didn't really like getting close to anyone, knowing that they could leave any day, just like her family did. 

She wanted more for herself though. She knew that she deserved to be loved, but in a world like this, in a city like this, did love even come around? She didn't know the answer to that question, but at this point, Kamri felt like she was becoming desperate for it. She hated her lonely nights. She did dream of having a family one day, being married to the man that she loved. Time would only tell, though. She just hoped that someone could save her before she let herself fall.