20.3: Filled with Love

Comenzar desde el principio

Huminga ito ng malalim. "I know how ironic it is that I was the one to blame yet I was the only one who survived. I ask the same question, too, when I remembered what really happened during the accident. And it was difficult to carry this large burden with the fact that my m-mother... my mother also died to save me."

May ilang nagsinghapan mula sa mga tao.

"Like what my lawyers and the court told you, I got a heart attack and lose control of the wheels. My mother and my sister were with me that time. I was driving, and they were with me because I was about to go home in the Philippines to be with my wife and son. Then the sudden heart attack happened, my sister tried to take over the wheel, but we were moving too fast. I was not able to move even my foot to stop on stepping the gas. I am deeply sorry. They said I was not the one to blame because I was a victim of my illness, too. I will still take the responsibility," Bari humbly said. "And if it's possible, I am here to ask for your forgiveness." Bari's voice cracked, but he held on. He managed to control his tears and continued to speak calmly. "I am truly sorry. I hope you can forgive me. You can talk to me and if you need help in any way, me and my family..."

Tumayo ang mga pinsan ni Bari. Napatingin ang mga tao sa mga ito.

"Me and my family are here to attend to your needs. I know that my help would never bring back the lives we lost. And I'm not intending to replace them with money or anything. I'm just here—we are just here... to help as much as we can. To reach you. I am, too, is in the process of healing, and if you'll let me, I want to mourn, pray, and heal with you. Let me know your family, your story. I'll tell you mine. And if... if you are open, let's share the pain and slowly let go of the things that kept us angry, in pain, and in loneliness. Even if you can't forgive me today, I'll wait. I'll wait no matter how long."

Nangilid ang luha sa mga mata ni Czarina.

May isang galit na galit na matanda ang tumayo. He has blonde hair and big round eyeglasses. He's crying in angriness.

"Why not put yourself to jail? I'll forgive you if you can do that!" sigaw nito. "I lost my only son because of you! He's the only reminder of my late wife. But now, what?! He's gone, too, and it's all because of your stupid excuse! Well, sorry for your lost, mister!" hagulgol nito ngunit punong-puno nang panggagalaiti ang boses. "But you still have a family! I only had my son but what happened? I am alone now!"

May tumayo pang isang babae. An American with a super fair skin with brown curly hair. "My daughter is just four," galit ring wika nito. Matalim ang mga tingin kay Bari. "I had a lot of dreams for her!" She started crying. "I want to see her finish school! She wanted to be a teacher! She wanted to teach poor kids when she grows up. But she can never do that, can't she? I wanted her to live a good life, to reach her dreams but you took it! You took it and you expect us to forgive you?! Keep your money and sympathy! I won't pity you! Kill yourself, Mr. Delos Santos! Kill yourself, instead!"

May dalawa pang tumayo at puno rin ng hinanakit at galit na sinumbatan si Bari. Nakagat ni Czarina ang labi dahil parang mapapahagulgol na rin siya. Hindi naman nila masisisi ni Bari ang mga ito. Nasaktan ang mga ito. Namatayan ng anak, kapatid, asawa... nawalan ng isang pamilya.

Pinalibutan si Bari ng security nang may isang gusto itong sugurin. Isang lalaki na kasintahan nito ang namatay.

"No. Let him," utos ni Bari.

Napasinghap si Czarina nang malakas na sinuntok ng lalaki si Bari. Napatayo siya at dinamayan ang asawa na nagdugo ang gilid ng mga labi.

Napatili ang ibang mga tao. The security held the African-American guy away.