We're almost home

Raelyn pulled the car into a gas station on the side of the road, parking next to the building.

"C'mon man, lets get some food before driving any more." She jumped out if the car, pulling her hair out of it's ponytail and letting it fall down again, ending just past her waist. Her bright blue eyes twinkled as she grabbed Zane's hand, pulling him into the small, roadside store.
Zane felt his face grow red, and he averted his eyes, looking at something other than his adorably excited friend.

Raelyn looked a vending machine up and down, pretending to be very interested in the contents inside.

Zane stood close to her, trying to ignore the other people in the room. He focased on her, the only familiar thing in this whole building. She had long black hair, bright blue eyes and an slightly upturned nose. Her skin was almond brown and slightly blotchy, but she hated makeup, and Zane thought that was pretty cool of her, but no one in his friend group really liked make up and shit. Only Rose and Annabelle did.

Raelyn was wearing shorts that came down just above her knees, and she had a low cut white shirt, the sleeves were low on her shoulders and the bottom of the shirt hung down to almost the bottom of her shorts. Zane caught himself smiling foolishly, and he looked away, suddenly aware of the other people in the room staring at them. Raelyn remained oblivious.

She decided on a small bag of chips, typing in the code into the keypad and slipping a five dollar bill into the machine.

It spat back out her change and she grabbed the small bag, pocketing the change.

"Come!" She smiled, grabbing Zane's hand again, pulling him back to the car.

They both got in, and Raelyn turned to him.

"You want these?" She asked, gesturing to the back of chips in her hand. Zane shook his head, smiling.

"They're yours, you eat them."

"You are too polite!" Raelyn laughed, shoving Zane backwards slightly. Zane laughed nervously, brushing his hair out of his eyes.

"We should start getting home." He pointed out, Raelyn nodded, stuffing the chips in the glove compartment.

"Dad'll find those one day, and then he'll be pleasantly surprised." Raelyn winked, Zane rolled his eyes, and they both giggled childishly. Raelyn turned back onto the road, grinning as she joined the flow of the other cars.

"Hey, Rae, how'd you find where I lived?" Zane asked, turning his attention back to his bestfriend.

"Alex traced the call." Raelyn reliped casually, steering the car with one arm and resting the other on her leg. Zane's eyes widened and he leaned back in his seat.

"OK then..." Zane laughed dryly, "Thats not creepy at all."

"Nope." Raelyn winked, smiling. "Hey, it's my turn to ask you a question. How's your  brother doing?"

"Good, I think. He left for college just as we moved, so it was just me and my Mom the entire time." Zane shuddered, and Raelyn placed her hand on his shoulder again. She didn't say anything, but she gripped his shoulder tightly, as if she were protecting him. He smiled, glancing up at her, making eye contact and quickly looking away. What the hell was wrong with them? Had Zane done something wrong?

Then he remebered.

"RAELYN!" He had shouted, regretting everything as every person in the room had looked over.

"Uh, is everything OK Zane?" Raelyn had walked over slowly, Zane had tried to read her posture, was she mad? Scared? Worried? He couldn't tell. "You shouted pretty loud.. Everyone's just staring at us now."

A few people had averted their eyes, out of shame or pity, Zane didn't know.

"Well, Raelyn." Zane had stammered, looking back down at his phone before sighing and showing it back into his hoodie pocket. "I only have a little time, and I didn't want you to not know."

Raelyn's shoulders had stiffened, "Whatda you mean? We have all of summer?!"

Zane had stared shaking his head, balling his hands into fists.

"I know this is weird, and I understand if you hate me for this, but I really don't wanna leave with out telling you the truth." Zane rememberd as he felt tears stinging in his eyes, and how he quickly blinked them away.

"What... what are you saying..." Raelyn had whispered, a few kids in the crowd held their breath.

Zane had gazed around the room again, spotting Kala and Cora, staring in shock at Zane. Valerie sat in the corner, her eyes wide and horrified. Rose, Elena and Annabelle sat beside her on the floor, pausing in the middle of their game of cards to watch.

Zane had felt his breath catch in his throat as he tried to speak.

"I know this is super awkward, cause you're my very best friend, but..." Zane bit his lip, rethinking his choice, but it was to late now. "I- I really like you Raelyn, like, a lot... Maybe more than friends... And I don't want you to stop being my friend... So maybe we'll find a way to talk..."

"Find a way?" Raelyn grabbed at her hair, her voice rising "Zane what are you talking about?!"

Zane had flinched.

"My mom just told me, we're ... We're moving. I have to go in a few minutes, I didn't want you to live believing a lie. So I had to tell you... That- that I... Liked you..." 

Zane had blurted out, blinking as tears threatened to spill over and down his face.

Just before he moved away,  he'd told her he'd liked her.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Zane groaned, leaning his face on the headboard of Raelyn's father's car.

"Uhm... you ok Zane?" Raelyn lifted her hand off his shoulder, but leaving it hovering in the air just above him. Zane just moaned, placing his hands over his head. 

"I'm sorry, Raelyn..." He groaned, lifting his head and slamming it back down again.

Raelyn jumped slightly, swerving off to the side of the road, again.

"Zane! What's wrong!?" Raelyn shouted, lifting his head off the headboard and holding his face in her hands.

"I'm so sorry..." He mumbled.

"Don't be!" She smiled nervously, letting go of his head. "It's almost over, we're almost home..."