Chapter 22 | Wouldn't You Want Revenge?

Start from the beginning

Ever since Christmas, when Flynn showed up at my doorstep, and I overdosed on my meds, my mom has been watching me like a hawk when it comes to my medicine. She used to let me keep the bottles in my bedroom, but after that little episode, she took both of them (my anxiety pills and my anti-depressants) away from me. It's not like she deprives me of them though—if I need an anxiety pill, she'll give me one, and when it's time for me to take an anti-depressant, she gives them to me, and makes sure that I swallow them.

"It's because I love you, honey," She chirps, putting the pill bottle back in the cabinet. "Oh, also, Tyler and Serena are going to be here in a couple of hours to discuss some stuff."

"What more could they possible want to discuss?" I ask with an annoyed groan. "I have told them everything several times."

"They've been speaking to witnesses," She explains. "I think that they just need to go over some of the evidence with you."

"When is this whole thing going to just be over?" I wonder, giving her a curious look. I'm just so sick of dealing with all of it.

"Soon, I'm sure," She assures me. "Oh, and you have an appointment with Dr. Fontana at 9 o'clock, so don't be late to that."

"But why?" I groan, raising my eyebrows in question. "Today's Saturday, you know."

"I know, but you haven't seen him since the day of the stabbing," She reminds me.

The stabbing incident happened on Monday, and that was the last time I've seen Dr. Fontana, just because I haven't really been up for going to our sessions. I know that when he got me released from the psychiatric ward, I promised him I would come to every single one of our sessions, but I think that given the circumstances, he would understand.

Not to mention the fact that I could potentially be arrested at any minute now, so I should probably spend as much time as I can doing stuff I actually want to do before they whisk me off to prison. Graham says I'm just being dramatic and that I'm not going to jail, but I seriously think I might be.

Yeah, I only stabbed Flynn in self-defense, but since his father is probably going to be representing him, he could probably win a few sympathy points. Even if he doesn't get any sympathy points though, Flynn's father could easily argue that I tried to like, murder his son or something for revenge—which I didn't, by the way. I mean, if I wanted to kill Flynn that night, he would be dead by now.

Like I said, I've taken anatomy, I know where I could have stabbed him if I wanted him to die. If I was trying to kill the guy, I would've gone for the heart or the lung or something, but did I? No, I made sure to stay away from that area entirely. I'm slightly positive that I didn't hit anything at all, aside from like, muscle.

Anyway though, I'm sure Flynn's dad could argue that case. Or he could argue that use of a deadly weapon—the knife—wasn't necessary. I think that it was and I'm pretty sure I had reason to fear for my life, which is exactly what I plan on telling Serena and Tyler. I shouldn't be so worried, I know, because they are super amazing lawyers, and according to my mother, they win about 93% of all of their cases. I guess I could fall within in that other 7% but I'm trying to remain optimistic. It's incredibly hard, but I'm trying my best.

"Well, can't I just talk to him about it on Monday, when I'm supposed to see him again?" I ask my mother hopefully.

"Well, yeah, you could," My mother nods, taking a sip from her coffee. "I just think it'd be better if you went today."

"So, do I even get a choice in the matter or are you just going to make me go?"

"You don't have a choice," She tells me, standing up and grabbing her coffee mug. "Please don't be late. I'll be in my room if you need anything."