Chapter Two

The town is all a buzz with the excitement of the recruitment officers that had come from Darwin this warm Saturday morning.

"I didn't even realise we had this many people in Kununurra." I furrow my eyebrows as I study the busy Main Street.

"They've come from everywhere, some from the Pilbara some from the Northern Territory, I even met one bloke from Broome." A familiar voice explains. I turn to our mate Tom, he is a tall lanky Scotsman, with fiery red hair and a foul mouth. His family had migrated to Australia when the three of us were only small, he'd grown up with us and we are almost like brothers.

"Fair dinkum?" Ned clarifies.

"No joke, they're like bees to a canola crop." Tom sighs. Ned and I question his sanity for a second before acknowledging his odd statement.

"Morning boys!" The cheerful voice of Mary Longmire sounds as she takes Tom's hand.

"Morning Mary, Elsie about?" I ask.

"Course she's about, but she's busy." Mary responds.

"With who?"

"Her light horse man, who else?!" Mary rolls her eyes at the thought of Hamish Stockman. He is the eldest son of the richest man this side of Darwin. He is tall and blonde with eyes like ice. Elsie has never been one to swoon over him but her father decided it was only fair that he court her.

"It's only because Mr O'Dwyer owes Mr Stockman 200 pounds, Elsie would never go for a bloke like him." Mary says, obviously trying to console my angst.

"No kidding." I sigh.

"Don't worry mate, being a best friend isn't so bad." Tom pats my back. I glare at him and he stops.

"She's just there." Mary points to the girl dressed in white. She leans against a boab tree, her ocean eyes fixed on her black boots. Her leather coloured hair shifts slightly with each breath of wind that hits her freckled cheeks. The man beside her ignores her, chatting to passers by, the emu plumes in his hat stand tall. Elsie looks up, her eyes meet mine and she waves a broken smile on her lips.

"C'mon lets get this over and done with." I breathe out slowly as we stroll ever so confidently towards the long line of men wanting to take part in the cause across the seas.

My gaze doesn't leave Elsie, as I take my place in front of the four men. Their gazes pierce my face, staring me down like a small child who'd stolen an apple from a tree. I relax, not letting their presence having an effect on me.

"Weren't you just here?" One says, the confusion written all over his face.

"No?" I cock my eyebrow in confusion.

"It was his brother, this is Clancy not Ned." Another confirms.

It doesn't take long for me to be through and out of the invasive medical checks.

With only one setback.
My feet.
My bloody flat feet.

"Was there a bloke before me? With flat feet?" I yell.

"Yes."

"Did you let him through? I know you bloody did because he's just about to walk out now, I'm not an idiot." I scowl at the doctor who's glasses perch on the end of nose. The doctor raises his chin and hands me my boots. I snatch them and stroll out the door with my stamped paper.

Ned greets me with an embrace like no other. His solemn face hangs and his dark eyes are damp.
"I'm going to tell Kate," he sighs heavily, "This is a dream." Ned walks away, his eyes on the ground, he pushes into the General store as the midday sun glares onto us.

"Go and see Elsie, I'll seeya tomorrow, I've gotta go tell Ma." Tom, just as solemn as Ned, mounts upon his horse.

I'm proud.
I'm going to be a hero.
No one can stop me.
Not even Mum.

"So you're coming as well then?" The most beautiful have ever heard echos in my ears. The soft, sweet tone sent goosebumps down my arms.

"Yes I guess so." I reply.

"Lucky I'll be there to look after you, you'd be useless without me." Elsie grins.
I stare at her in shock;
"You're going?"

"Elsie I'm going to head home, see you tomorrow." Hamish kisses her lips and the two of us cringe.

"Ok," she watches as he strides over to his horse. "And to answer your question, yes, as a nurse, he doesn't know yet and he's not going to find out."

A feeling of disbelief, pride and sadness over comes me. A tear wells in my left eye but I brush it away.

"Um," I swallow, "I can't believe it."

"It's going to be alright Clancy, I'm sure of it." She doesn't sound very sure but I take her word for it.

"My family are coming to tea at your place tonight, shall we go down the creek afterwards my dearest, most infuriating Clancy?" She smiles, her eyes hoping I say yes.

"Of Course my darling, resplendent Elsie." I say, her smile grows and she clambers onto her horse.
-

"So, it's great to see you all." Mum places a plate of lamb in front of Mr O'Dwyer.

"And you Nancy, always a pleasure." Kate says, gripping tight to Ned's hand beneath the table. She's very polite, her subtle complexion, happy smile and strong composure always appeals to my parents.

"Well Kate you're always welcome."

"You do remember we're engaged right Mum?" Ned questions.

"How could I forget? If war doesn't steal my boys, a beautiful girl will." Mum states, handing around the mash potato.

The silence echoed through the room.

Elsie looks at me as if demanding me to do something.

"Oi Alice." I smirk before firing a pea at her off my fork.

"Hey!" She fires one back and it hits Elsie.

"Alice Marie!" Elsie exclaims, sending a pea at Arthur.

"G'on Art, in the mouth." Ned points to his open mouth.
Arthur aims, and sends it perfectly into Ned's mouth. Art and Ned jump up, pumping the air with double fists as the whole table claps and laughs.

In these moments.
The war is forgotten.
Love is evident.
Laughter is loud.
The war is forgotten.