Chapter One

The hunger was becoming unbearable.

The thirst building beyond anything I could control and as it got worse I feared that I would end up harming someone should they cross my path.

I wrap my arms around my waist, as if somehow that would stop the constant cramping and ache from lack of nutrition.

It was my own fault, I had waited too long to rebuild my supply and now, as I ventured out in hopes of stocking up from my usual supplier, I had been caught short and desperation was kicking in.

It wasn't that I was against draining straight from the vein, but it could lead to so many problems that more often than not it wasn't worth the risk and yet as the hunger got stronger, I found myself tempted more often to attack the person nearest to me.

At the last minute, I ducked into an alley and found myself crouching and curled up against the wall, my arms wrapped tightly around my waist as the hunger and burning grew.

Noises that were already enhanced seemed to get louder and distorted, creating a pulsing ache in my head that pounded behind my eyes.

The sound of nightclub revellers stumbling out of the building, drunk and giggling as they swayed down the road arm in arm with their nightly conquest rang through my head like daggers being stabbed into my brain.

Pounding music sounded from inside the building I was leaning against and each pulse sent another throb through my head and yet I couldn't find the strength to move.

From somewhere behind me, a door creaked open and footsteps echoed loudly through my head followed by the murmuring of two men and the sound of a lighter flicking in an attempt to start the flame.

"Quite a turn out tonight, huh?"

The sound of the man's Brooklyn accented voice sounded like a dull thumping in my ears, almost as bad as the bass that came from the music inside. The pain caused me to grit my teeth and curl into myself further, waiting for the discomfort to subside enough so that I could at least move and get to somewhere safer, there was no possible way I would make it home before sunrise.

"Not bad, but I was hoping for better."

The second voice was a little huskier and laced with a British accent, this one felt softer on my ears but still pounded into my head like a hammer.

"Really? Man, are you ever happy?"

"Of course I am, just not tonight, the turnout was shit."

"If you got onto social media and promoted yourself, maybe you'd get out a little further."

"You know I'm not into this whole technology thing."

"Beyond your equipment, yeah I get it."

I could practically hear the eye roll in the man's tone, but that was soon over layered by the sound of a long exhale which was followed by an overpowered stench of nicotine.

Involuntarily, I let out a groan and shudder at the horrendously overbearing smell that was setting my senses on fire and making my stomach churn.

"Hey, you think she's okay?" I hear the British voice whisper.

"Leave her, she's probably tweaking, dude," the other replies, not bothering to keep his voice down.

"Do you have to announce it to the world?" Was the exasperated response.

"I don't have to do anything," another long exhale of smoke, "she's doing it well herself, just leave her, it ain't nothing new around here."

"I suppose."

"Hey, what time is it anyway?"

There was a terrible scratching of material that filled my ears and caused me to cringe before the British one responded with; "Quarter to twelve."

"Shit, I got five minutes to get ready."

"I told you that you didn't have time for-"

"Yeah, whatever Adam," the man rushed out dismissively, stamping out the cigarette on the ground beneath his boot, which hissed as the lit end was crushed.

The door to the club was wrenched open with another horrible screech and for a brief moment I believed that I was finally alone with my headache and suffering once again.

I took some steadying deep breaths and clenched my eyes shut tightly, with one hand pressed against the rough bricks of the wall beside me, I slowly stand up to my full height only to be hit with a wave of dizziness and nausea.

My stomach lurched, my head swam and my body swayed as I tried to will myself past this horrible feeling in order to get home before anything terrible happened.

"Excuse me?"

His voice and footsteps drove through me and caused me to flinch, my knees threatening to give out at the jolt.

I clench my fists at my sides and turn a little to look over my shoulder, watching as a tall and pale man walked up to me, his expression blank but his eyebrows furrowed a little.

"You okay?" He asked, his eyes briefly flickering over me.

As he looked me over I swear I could hear his blood racing through his veins, the pumping of his heart in his chest and it all made me hungrier.

I flexed my fingers and told myself to tear my eyes away.

Inside I was screaming to get home.

I could feel my fangs beginning to ache with need.

I had to leave before something regrettable happens.