-

Neji watched as his opponent entered the ring, his silvery eyes focusing intently at the person before him. Something about him was different, all of the people from their extended circle of friends had noticed, but only he and Hinata had seen the extent of this. For one thing, the beast that had resided within him was no longer present, and the nature of his energy had seemed to become so much more volatile than it had been before. There was something else, too, something about the way he acted, but Neji found himself unable to put his finger on it.
Naruto struck first. Using the body flicker technique, his body disappeared from view only to reappear behind Neji. Neji turned, exclaiming slightly from shock, and felt the knuckles of Naruto's hand strike his face, sending him flying. As he recuperated, Naruto launched himself for another attack, preparing himself for Neji's expected retaliation. As anticipated, Neji used his gentle fist technique, Naruto allowed himself to become injured for it would only be temporary, he would unlock it within moments and he had given the crowd something to cheer at. His eyes flickered over towards the hokage to gouge his expression, and for a moment he saw the sadistic glee of the man he had once believed to have been worth while, the same man of whom he planned to kill.
Neji furrowed his brow in confusion at the glint he saw in Naruto's eyes for that split moment where his gaze diverted from their battle, a look of analyzation and of someone with genuine intelligence.

'What is he planning?l Neji wondered silently, distracted momentarily from battle and therefore faulting in his attack, causing him to miss. Somehow, dust and dirt had been kicked up, distorting and clouding the view of the onlookers, and that was when the battle ended. No one knew how, but Neji's unconscious body lay heavily among the rocks of the disturbed ground, and he did not move.

"Monster!" Someone shouted from the crowd suddenly, an uproar of similar insults following on the first's lead. Naruto bowed to them sarcastically and began to walk back to the stands where the rest of them sat, most of whom having ignored the battle in the beginning but now all of the, watched intently.

-

"You're a wrench in my plans, you know." A low voice murmured to the trapped ninja, whose foot had been caught in a hole a clone had dug, the earth having fallen beneath him.
"That dojutsu of yours can ruin everything, oh what should I do? What should I do?" The figure approached through the dirt, which had been kicked up but now seemed to pervade the air unnaturally, but Neji could tell-using his dojutsu-that the air was filled with chakra, as spread out as water particulars in mist, the nature of which being destructive and dangerous, and yet it remained under control by the figure that now stood just before the downed Neji.
"Oh yes, here's an idea." The figure continued, grasping onto Neji's headbands and slowly pulling it off.
"You know, you should thank me for this, Neji. I am putting you out of your misery." Naruto's face peered through the dust and dirt, eyes glowing vibrant hues and pupils a bright yellow. Then everything went black.

-

Neji awoke with a start, surprised that he still lived. What had just happened? His headband was no longer absent from his person, but upon his forehead and tied into a sloppy knot. He blinked slowly, feeling a slight burning sensation on his forehead beneath the cold metal of the protective metal. Removing the headband and looking into a mirror, he realized, with great amazement and relief, that the symbol that had been on his forehead was absent.
A slip of paper fell to the floor from where it had been concealed within his headband, stealing his attention towards the folded thin sheet.

Dear Neji-San,
Congrats, you're now a free little birdy, choose your moves carefully, interfere with me and a different seal will be set off. Behave and you'll get to live a prosperous life, mess with my plans and you shall suffer. Simple, right? Oh, and don't tell anyone, unless you want that seal on your tongue to go off, that is.