"Eve, perhaps we should discuss this with the other warriors," Darkshadow offered quietly before shooting Ospreypaw another pointed glance. "Ripplestar would want to be included as well, I presume."

     Without waiting for the apprentices' input, Eveningshell nodded and walked back toward the Daystones with Darkshadow. The deputy swept her tail, and all of the warriors quickly gathered around her and Ripplestar. Darkshadow carefully took a place near Eveningshell, mimicking her posture and stance.

     When he realized the warriors were discussing something serious, Crabpaw broke away from the crowd and approached Ospreypaw and Splashpaw. Poolpaw and Currentpaw huddled together on the opposite side of the clearing, whispering quietly to each other before rushing to the medicine den—probably to check on their cousin and grandfather.

     "I'm worried about Dace," Crabpaw mewed. Like Ospreypaw, he watched the other apprentices go after the warrior. "He shoved me into hiding right before it happened. I'm really lucky there was a thick patch of reeds to hide in. The NightClan cats were so mean!"

     Ospreypaw immediately felt their fur prickle with anger. "You could have gotten seriously hurt, Crab! We need to teach those cats a lesson!"

     Crabpaw laughed, seemingly unbothered at the idea of getting hurt himself. "This is strange. You were sick for moons, and here you are worrying about us—"

     "Forget about that!" Ospreypaw huffed, sending him a frustrated look. "Are you okay? I can't believe this keeps happening."

     "Os, I know you're mad," Splashpaw spoke softly, brushing against Ospreypaw reassuringly. "We have to remember what we've been taught, though. NightClan is huge, and they have shades, who are especially dangerous. Riverflower is already low on herbs—it would be smart to give them this victory for now."

     Ospreypaw only stared at him, unable to even find the words to respond to him. They couldn't figure out how anyone would be so willing to accept this. Splashpaw didn't even look upset, and Crabpaw looked more worried than anything. Were they both really willing to let NightClan walk all over them?

     "Really?" Crabpaw laughed, nudging Splashpaw. "How would you know about the herb stocks?" It was obvious he was teasing to relieve Ospreypaw's tensions, and admittedly, it worked.

     Splashpaw, however, bristled defensively when Crabpaw targeted him. "I learned enough when we watched over Os! They were sick so often, and Riverflower obviously didn't mind the company. Besides, I wanna be able to help if she ever needs it."

     In response, Ospreypaw found themself rolling their eyes. "Why not be her apprentice then, Splash? You don't even care about what happened today. Do you even want to be a warrior?"

     "It's not that simple!" Splashpaw looked away sheepishly, as if they'd just caught him in a lie. "She probably needs a sign from StarClan, or something like that. Or maybe I need the sign? I don't know!"

     "Wait, do you really want to be her apprentice?" Ospreypaw blinked in surprise. They expected more flustered deflecting, not an entire confession. Crabpaw looked surprised and almost guilty at Splashpaw's response, and he quickly nuzzled their brother reassuringly.

     "I don't know. Maybe I do!" Splashpaw huffed and pulled away. "I liked helping her look after you, but Eveningshell is my mentor now. She needs an apprentice if she wants to keep being the deputy, otherwise Ripplestar might demote her."

     "I don't think Ripplestar would do that," Crabpaw mumbled and exchanged a glance with Ospreypaw. "If you don't want to be a warrior, you should really speak up. Eveningshell can always get an apprentice some other time."

     "It's not that serious," Splashpaw looked away and shrugged. "Besides, it'd be selfish for me to do that to Eveningshell. I'm not even sure it's what I want, so please don't tell anyone yet, okay?"

     "Okay, don't worry!" Ospreypaw reassured him quickly, forgetting about everything else that had just happened. "We won't tell anyone. Right, Crab?"

     Crabpaw nodded quickly and offered more reassuring words to their brother. Ospreypaw watched them for a moment before glancing at the medicine den; Poolpaw and Currentpaw were sitting outside the den now, their tails flicking anxiously. Maybe I can suggest Splashpaw to Riverflower without outright saying it, they thought. She likes me well enough, so maybe if I can plant a seed of an idea, she'll consider it.

     Riverflower having an apprentice would definitely help with the skirmishes as well. She was always fretting over Mudbreath, and now had to worry about even more injured warriors. If what Splashpaw said about the herb stores was true, she probably needed the help.