Chapter Eleven

"Was it worth it?"

"Regret's a term I've yet to be acquainted with."

     Ospreypaw woke up with a start as a cough shook their body. They opened their eyes quickly and cleared their throat, only to be met with the worried gazes of their brothers.

     "You're coughing again?" Splashpaw asked, his ears perked. "I'll go let Riverflower know!"

     "Wait, Splash—and he's gone," Ospreypaw groaned and jumped to their paws while Splashpaw vanished from the den. They turned to Crabpaw, who stayed silently concerned, and said, "I was never here."

     With that, they rushed out of the apprentices' den and swept the clearing for a sign of Darkshadow. They caught sight of him almost immediately by the small pond and raced toward him. If we start training fast enough, it'll be fine, I'm sure, Ospreypaw thought as they slid up to him.

     "Osprey?" Darkshadow blinked and yawned when he noticed them. "You're up early."

     "I just wanted to get a head start on our training today!" they blurted out, hoping he'd be as eager to train as before. "You know what they say; an early osprey catches the fish, or whatever."

     Darkshadow's eyes narrowed briefly and he watched Ospreypaw closely for a few moments. Then, he shrugged and stood up. He gave a noncommittal mumble—something about hoping for a slow morning—before leading the way to the edges of the camp. Ospreypaw followed him closely, hoping to make it to the reeds before Splashpaw returned with Riverflower.

     They had no such luck. Before they neared the exit, a familiar blue-furred molly emerged from the medicine den and stalked up to them.

     "Osprey," Riverflower said slowly when she intercepted them, "Splash told me that you woke up coughing. You know the drill."

     "Come on!" Ospreypaw hissed in dismay. "I haven't coughed since that. I haven't even felt the need to cough!"

     "Don't try to get out of this," Riverflower shook her head and waved toward the medicine den. "You can train when I decide you're fine."

     Beside them, Darkshadow looked upset at the interaction—Ospreypaw thought it looked like annoyance or anger. As soon as they noticed it, his expression softened and he shook his head at Ospreypaw.

     "You know I hate for you to miss training," he said sternly before glancing at Riverflower, "but facing Riverflower's wrath is worse than a session sacrificed."

     "But what if NightClan attacks?" Ospreypaw fretted and let their claws sift through the sand. "And what if we have to go to Starfalls? I won't be prepared!"

     Darkshadow gave a soft chuckle, surprising Ospreypaw. "Your determination is refreshing to see. I'm glad I have someone so eager as an apprentice, but you need to look after your own health, too. Do as Riverflower says, and we'll get back to training when we can."

     "If I didn't know better, I'd say you've developed a soft spot for this one, Dark," Riverflower deadpanned without sparing him a glance.

     "It's a good thing you know better," Darkshadow scoffed. "Don't keep my apprentice away from me all day."

     He gave Ospreypaw a nod and made his way toward the Sunstones. The rising sun gave the flat stones a soft glow, and the dark-furred warrior quickly stretched out in its warm rays.

     "I'll keep them as long as I please," Riverflower muttered and watched his retreat. Then, she blinked kindly at Ospreypaw—as if the words never left her mouth—and beckoned for them to follow her.