Shadow of the Sheikah

A shimmering arrow flew from the Bow of Light as the champion Link delivered the final blow to the vile Ganon. Freed from her 100 years of imprisonment, Zelda raised her hand, calling upon the power of the Triforce of Wisdom. She could see the terror, the understanding in the monstrous eyes of the beast that had once been Ganondorf. Together, Link and Princess Zelda ended the Calamity as Ganon suffered his final death throes, thrashing and twitching in the sky. Attempting to somehow escape his fate, he crawled toward the clouds, toward the blazing sun and then he was gone. Hopefully forever this time.

"We've done it, Link," Zelda said breathlessly. For a century she had kept Ganon at bay, waiting for Link's return. She was beyond tired, even exhausted didn't quite encompass how she felt. "Ganon has been defeated..."

Now she could face her champion, now she could thank him properly for once. She had dreamed of this moment, when she could wrap her arms around the knight who had protected her until he was near the brink of death. She might even kiss him if she could work up the courage. He deserved at least that. And so the girl in white robes, smudge marks on her pale face and dirt in her golden hair, turned toward the silent champion.

She found him gazing at her with a sad look in his eyes and the Bow of Light aimed at her heart...

"Link, no!" she cried as he unleashed one of the blessed Arrows of Light. She winced, anticipating the pain that would soon follow. Instead she heard a familiar bellow, a man made of rock and light deflected the arrow.

"Run, Princess!" the spirit of the Goron champion, Daruk, hollered at her. She caught a glimpse of Link battling against the other champions or rather their spirits. The fish-like Mipha, the feathery Revali and the tall, tanned woman Urbosa circled Link, their shimmering forms flickering in the sunlight. For a moment, she thought she even saw the majestic yet thick form of her father as she ducked behind a tree.

Her thoughts raced as she hid to protect her life. Why had Link turned on her? What had she done? Before she could think of an answer, a loud gong resonated through the valley and a creature on tentacle legs with a crab-like metallic body approached. Its glaring red eye focused on her from its domed head, it locked onto her and a buzzing sound drowned out everything else. She knew this machination, it was a Guardian created by the Sheikah to protect the people from the Calamity but they had been subverted to serve the vile Ganon instead. The Guardian clearly intended to end her life and there was nothing that Zelda could do to stop it. She squinted her eyes shut and waited for the inevitable.

"Take this!" a voice cried and when Zelda reached down, she found a Sheikah Slate resting against her hip. She knew how to use the device, probably better than any Hylian in the land and so she teleported. Turning into the very essence of light, Zelda escaped to the only place she thought might still be safe in this world gone mad.

She arrived on a hilltop in front of a black and orange glowing structure, this was the Shrine of Ta'Loh Naeg. Zelda clambered down from the edge of the shrine and stood atop the hill, looking down onto a bustling village. Children played on the road, a dog barked at them playfully as they chased around a flock of chickens. It was Kakariko Village and it was a sight for sore eyes, she thought.

Zelda maneuvered her way down the path to the village, her sandaled feet easily traversed the steep trail. She passed silently through the village, no one seemed to take notice of her. Zelda paused before a set of wooden steps that led to a rectangular house atop another hill. A sleeping guard lulled near the base of the stairs, Zelda slipped past him and scampered up the steps. At the top, she allowed herself inside.