Chapter 6

The cell door was open along with all the other ones, the cells were empty now. I heard a little girl cry that echoed through the cells, it sounded familiar but I couldn't work it out. I slowly stepped off the tabled and looked down to see I was wearing a green hospital gown. I was abit wobbly on my feet, so I used the cells bars to keep me up. I slowly stepped out into the hallway of cells, the lights flickered and I searched for the little girl that was crying. I heard her sobs again and I shot around to see a little girl at the end of the hallway, she was clenching onto the school dress she was wearing and I realized who it was. Sam slowly turned around and my hand slapped across my face when I saw the blood dripping down her head from the hole that laid in the middle of her forehead. Her sad faded blue eyes locked on me, my heart dropped at how sad and horrible she looked. But most of all she was scared and I felt numb.

"You lied to me, Eve." She said to me as the tears streamed down her face. "Why would you do that.."

The lady who was screaming earlier came into view and she gestured her hand to Sam. She hesitated before grabbing the ladies hand and disappeared around the corner.

"NO SAM!" I began running down the long hallway but no matter how fast I ran, it never ended. Everything was fading into black and I tried to fasten my pace but it all disappeared into a black mist.

***

The cell door screeched open and a tall man walked in. I recognised him from earlier, he was one of the ones who was trying to drag the woman off.

"Get on the table." His stern voice startled me and I jumped up on the table. He didn't strap me on to the table instead he tucked his shirt behind the gun that was hoisted against his hip. A warning that if I tried to escape that  I wouldn't make it one step. I wasn't thinking of trying to escape, not without the boy or Hannah at least. I tried to look around as he pushed but all I could see were dirt walls like in mine shafts. Were we underground? It took a while to get to where we were going which I wasn't too sure of. It seemed like the tunnel went on forever until we finally arrived at a metal door. He slid it open and I was pushed inside a white room. The room had a creepy feeling to it, like there was no sanity in the room.

Two seconds in the room and I was already freezing. Plus the terrified feeling I got when I saw the man standing across the room by the sink. The emptiness in the room scared me, I had never felt like this before. The feeling that I was never leaving this room, that this is where I was going to die. In the hand of this..Monster..

He didn't acknowledge me as I was pushed into the room, he just continued preparing syringes by the sink. He seemed so contempt, like he did this all the time and that he enjoyed it. What was he injecting us with, was it the vaccine or another virus?

"Has she eaten?" He said while flicking the syringe lightly with his finger.

"No, Sir." The man who had pushed me in replied.

"Good." He walked over to me with the syringe in one hand and a tape recorder in the other. He clicked the tape recorder and layed it next to his tools. He grabbed my arm gently and cleaned my arm with this wet tissue. "Injecting Virus black into system in 3, 2, 1." The needle pierced my skin and I felt the virus pour into my veins.

"What is virus black, sir?" He stood guard by the door with his shirt still firmly tucked behind his gun.

"A deadly toxin that once injected will stop a person’s heart in under a minute." He said wiping the trickle of blood on my wrists from the needle. I looked up at him with complete shock, how could he do that. Just dispose of me like this. He just ignored me and continued to fiddle around with his tools and syringes. My heart began to race and I couldn't tell if it was the virus or a panic attack. I fell backwards against the cold metal table, my vision was becoming blurry as I stared blankly at the ceiling. Every time I tried to move it felt like I was in slow mo, the voices were faint and distant. They would talk but their words didn't process and by the time my mind figured out what they had said I was already slipping away. He clicked the recorder again and I tried to concentrate because I knew I didn't have much time left.

"Test subject 74 died in under a minute after being injecting with virus black. Virus red and blue was a failure in the subject." As it clicked off it felt as if my body did too. Finally, the nightmare was over.

***

I opened my eyes to be greeted by a girl lying in front of my. Her red hair was mattered and bits were drenched in blood. I focused my eyes to see she was very pale.

She was dead.

I jumped up and stumbled backwards, landing against something cold. I turned around to see another dead body of a man around his 40's. His eyes were open and lifeless, they were locked in my direction but I couldn't scream. I stood up, trying to calm myself as I looked beyond all the dead bodies in the pit. I tried to search frantically for an exit but the walls were at least 3 metres high and even if I managed to grab the ledge I would not have the strength to pull myself up.

I walked through the bodies to the other side, I jumped when I heard a crunch and looked down to see a blond hair girl facing downwards. I immediately turned her over in a panic but thankfully it wasn't Sam. Relief consumed me and I sat down next to the girl. She looked about the same age as Sam but she looked nothing like her. Sam had a wide face and this girl face was skinny, now that I thought about it this girl looked alot smaller than Sam.

I sat there a while, staring at the girl and the other bodies. Just the other day I would be screaming for someone to help me, but everything is different now. I was use to death now, well as use to it as I will ever be. I knew no one was coming, I was where they put the dead. Even if I did escape, I had no idea where I was or where to go. At least I was outside. It felt nice to be out in the open, even though i'm in a pit with over 20 dead people. It smelt disgusting in here but I tried to ignore it. 

I heard footsteps and I quickly fell down, closing my eyes. I held my breath but with my asthma, I wouldn't be able to hold it long. They didn't say anything, instead there was a loud thud and the footsteps slowly became distance. I quickly exhaled but surprisingly I didn't need my puffer. I could breath perfectly, I usually couldn’t breath after holding my breath for 20 seconds.

I stood up and went over to the freshly dead body. The girl’s eyes were open and she was staring blankly at the sky. She had short brown black hair and faded green eyes.

A tear fell down my face. I'm not dying here.

I searched around again and tried to think of a plan. I walked over to the wall, I stretched my arms up to see if I could reach the top. I was a about a foot away from reaching the top, I jumped as far as I could, I just touched the top but I wouldn't be able to grab onto it. I looked at the bodies on the ground, I wish there was another way but I didn't exactly have alot of options. I dragged the closest one to me towards the wall. I then dragged another one and rolled it on top of the other body. I went to get the red haired girl, she was alot lighter than the other bodies.

I had to lift her onto the others, after she was in place I checked to see if the bodies were sturdy and it surprisingly it was alright. I felt horrible for doing this but I had no other choice. I slowly stood on top of them and reached upwards. I grabbed the edge and tried to hoist myself up. I was surprised at how strong I was considering I haven't eaten in a while. I jumped up from the pit, I stared at the rows and rows of pits filled with dead bodies. On the outskirts of the pits where trees swaying the wind and then the stench hit me, it was alot stronger than in the pit and my eyes started to water. It was one of the worse thing I have ever smelt in my entire life. I looked around and in the middle of a bunch of trees was a small mountain with an olden wooden door. It was a mineshaft.