Prologue

I gripped her hand tighter as we raced pass the front buildings of the school. The gym was in sight now, my pace fastened as the relief spread through my body. 10 metres away, so close.

I flung backwards and fell hard on my back. I rolled over to see Christy had passed out, I crawled to her not paying attention to the monsters that were slowly coming closer. Hannah ran past me sliding to ground next to Christy.

"Christy!" I shook her body violently but she didn't move. "No, No, No, Christy!" I lifted her head up and cradled her. The tears streamed down my face and I buried my face in her hair. I ignored the murmurs that grew louder as I rocked her back in forth in my arms, her body swaying with me. Hannah sat next to us with a blank expression. Her gaze broke from the cement and focused on the monsters coming closer.

"We need to go." She tried to grab my hand and I shook her off.

This was my best friend, the girl that stood by me through everything. I was not going to leave her to some foul creatures. I jumped up and looked past the monsters in search for someone, anyone.

"HELP!?" I screamed and it echoed through the buildings and more came around from the corners.

"Eve, she is gone. Let’s go." Hannah glared at me. I couldn't leave her and Hannah certainly could not make me.

A hand tightened around my foot and I saw that Christy was grabbing onto my leg. Her white eyes locked on my leg as she attempted to bite me. I stumbled and dragged myself backwards while trying to kick free of her grip. She used her other hand to grab my leg and drag herself towards me, her teeth about to sink into my flesh...

BANG.

Her body went limp causing her grip to loosen and her head to fall forwards. I scurried backwards while pushing her body off of me. The back of her head was destroyed and chunks of her brain and skin fell over the side of her head, clinging to her mattered blond head. I couldn't help but cry at the horrific scene of my best friend lying dead in front of me.

My body instinctively jumped up and turned around to the face of her murderer. My eyes met with the barrel of the gun and a single tear fell down my face drying up with the others that had previously fallen.

This is my end.