Chapter 1

1 Hour Earlier

"Eve, it is seriously not that bad." Her words only frustrated me more.

"Easy for you to say, you got like 65%." I mumbled under my breath hoping she would hear it.

"Eve?" She ran in front of me, stopping my path."It's one test, don't worry about it."

I pushed past her and opened my locker. "I'm worried about my parents, you know what they are like with this shit." My parents were my main concern, I would be grounded for months for failing just one stupid test.

I shoved my books into my locker and put my homework in my bag, I swung the bag over my shoulder and slammed my locker shut.

"Just tell them you missed alot of class." I stared at her in disbelief, she honestly could not be that stupid.

"Are you serious? Hey mum and dad, I failed my science test from missing to much school because I wag. Yeah, I'm sure they'll take it well." She looked at me with the 'Don't be a bitch' face and I took a deep breath in. "Sorry, this test is just making me so worried and mad."

She grabbed my shoulders, "It will be fine, just tell them the truth. Except for the wagging part." We both laughed and continued to walk down the corridor past the lines of blue lockers.

Christy ran up to the side of Hannah. "You guys could've waited." She said whilst zipping her bag.

"We thought you caught the early bus again." Hannah said.

"You know I don't catch it on Tuesday." Christy always over reacted to things, right now all that would be going through her head is that we hate her. Which is not true, she has been one of my bestfriends for over 3 years and not once have I hated her. I have been annoyed with her, but never hate.

I reached out to push the door open to get out of the busy hallway full of raging students but it wouldn't budge. "What the?" I pushed harder on the door this time with two hands."The door won't open." Christy tried to push on but it still didn't open.  We stepped back when one of the older students came, one shoved his shoulder against the door but it still didn't budge.

I looked at Hannah but her eyes were locked on the door. "What is going on?" She asked me, still focusing on the door. She looked worried which made me worried. Hannah never worried, she always could explain something if it was weird but this time she didn't say anything.

"Let’s just try another exit." I turned around and headed in the opposite direction and they both followed behind me. We pushed past all the students and headed down the now empty hall. We took a left into another corridor that was completely empty. I looked at Hannah hoping she had come up with a reasonable explanation to calm me, like she always did. But her face was blank as she stared at the empty hallway. I ran up the corridor to the door and tried to open it but it wouldn't budge, just like the other one.

"This is ridicules!" I said as I banged the door with my clenched fists.

All three of us shot around when a piercing scream filled the corridor. We panicked as more screams filled the long hallway.

I began throwing myself against the door, the door shook violently but still didn't budge. I banged my hands against the door hoping someone would hear me. What was going on, was someone in the school. Was there a lockdown?

"Shhh" Hannah said, I didn't realize that the screaming had stopped. "Let's go though here." She dragged me through an open classroom and closed the door quietly behind her. I had never seen Hannah this serious and determined, it was like she knew what to do. Christy sat on the floor and bit her nails like she always did when she was nervous.

"What is going on?" I began to breathe heavily and searched my bag frantically for my puffer. Once I found it, I quickly inhaled 2 times.

"I don't know something bad. Just be quiet." A loud band sounded on the door and I saw a shadow in the tinted window biting at the door like an animal. I turned around to see if Hannah was looking but she was too busy trying to open the windows. More figures began surrounding the outside of the door.

The window clicked open. "Let’s go." I rushed over to her while I shoved my puffer in my bag and swung it over my shoulder again. The window wasn't that high and thankfully there was grass beneath us. She jumped out first and I followed her. The courtyard was completely empty and I began to panic again. Hannah on the other hand was still determined as she scanned the area.

I heard a thud behind me and spun around to see Christy on the ground collecting her things that were scattered across the ground. I rolled my eyes and dropped down to the ground to help her.

The lock down siren sounded, "All students are to stay in classrooms, if you are not in a classroom, please make your way to the gym. I repeat, all students are to stay in classrooms and if you are not in a classroom, make your way to the gym." The speaker cut out and I looked at Hannah. She was staring at the ground and her mind seemed elsewhere.

"Hannah?" She broke out of her trance and looked at me.

"Lets go to the gym." She started walking in the opposite direction and disappeared around a corner. I quickly shoved the rest of Christy's things in her bag and ran after Hannah. 

"Where are you going, the gym is that way." She continued to walk, ignoring me. "Hannah?"

I grabbed her shoulder and spun her around. Her eyes were filled with rage and then they drifted to behind me and her face went blank. I spun around to see a student walking towards us slowly. The blood dripping down their neck had stained majority of the top of their uniform.

"Are you okay?" My voice sounded like a nervous wreck. The student head shot up and her pale white eyes locked on me. She charged at me and Hannah pulled me back, while trying to shove the girl. The student stumbled backwards and Christy came around the corner. She screamed when she saw the blood soaked girl on the ground whose attention was now focused on Christy. She looked like a rapid animal as she jumped back up, blood dripping out of her mouth as she charged for Christy. Hannah pushed me aside and pulled the girl off of Christy but it was too late. Christy fell to the ground screaming in pain. Hannah threw the girl to the side and she stumbled again hitting her head against the cement ledge that separated the path from the garden.

The girl’s body went still and a pool of blood surrounded her head. I looked over to see Hannah had removed her jumper and held against Christy's wound. I ran over to them circling the girl just incase she jumped back up. Cristy's stared at Hannah but here eyes were blank and she seemed like she was elsewhere.

"What is wrong with her?" My voice croaked and I kneeled down next to them.

"She is in shock." Hannah began to lightly shake her. "Christy?" Christy's eye snapped back into reality and relief ran over me."We got to go, can you walk?" Christy nodded and we both helped her up. "Stay with her, I'll check if the coast is clear." Hannah's voice was filled with authority.

"What about her?" I pointed to girl lying on the cement ground lifeless.

"She's gone now." Hannah jogged ahead and peeped around the building. She gestured her hand to come forward and I pulled Christy along with me. Hannah put out her hand to stop and turned to face me. "Okay, where going to run across the basketball court. Do not stop running until I say it is okay. I'll take Christy and you keep hold of your puffer."

"Run?" I looked at her in disbelief.

"Trust me." She grabbed Christy arm and put it over her shoulder. "Ready?" I quickly grabbed my puffer out of my bag and held it to my heart. Adrenaline raced through me as I braced myself for what was about to happen.

Hannah peered around the corner again, "Go."