Chapter One: Please Don't Go

"Honey, come downstairs! It's time for school!" My father yelled from downstairs. I was unfortunately still lying in bed dressed in my pajamas.

"I'm not going today!" I shouted back before pulling my favorite blue pillow over my head.

"Today is picture day! And yes, you are going! I would like to have a decent picture of you for once," My father really wasn't going to give up until I got up and ready, which only takes me less than ten minutes. I stare at the poster on my ceiling of my favorite band as a child, debating on if I actually want to go to school today or not. I decide to go. I get my clothes on, pull my hair into a bun, and brush my teeth before running downstairs to get a quick bite to eat. I rushed my little sister because she didn't need to be late. I couldn't care less if I was late because I wasn't even planning on going today, but I figured that Ariel, my younger sister, should go for the perfect attendance record.

"Ariel! Come on!" I pulled my little sister outside and onto the school bus.

"Do you know what today is?" Ariel asked as we sat down.

"No. But I have a feeling you're going to tell me," I said, not really caring what she had to say.

"Today is Mommy's birthday," Ariel said and my heart lurched. It seems like forever ago when my mother passed. When in reality, it was less than a year.

Cancer has been through every female generation of my family and I'm the next to get it. I'm not scared. I know it's coming and there's no way to stop it. I just hope and pray that I get every single bit of cancer and my little sister is spared. I wouldn't even know what life is anymore if something happened to her. I know we argure sometimes, but I love her more than anything and she is my only friend.

"I know. I'm sorry that I forgot. You know I'm not good with numbers," I say to Ariel in an attempt to cheer her up.

"It's okay. She still loves you." I love how optimistic she is. She can always put anyone in a good mood no matter what happens. She always has ways of cheering me up.

"I know, I know." I'm holding back my tears as best as I can. My sister seems to notice my sadness and she reaches over to hug me.

"I love you, Jo," Ariel says.

I hear a few snickers from a group of teens my age and I turn to look at them. Other people would consider them 'jocks', but I don't see the need in putting people into stereotypical categories.

"I love you, Jo," One of them mocked and I covered my sisters ears with both of my hands before turning back to the football players.

"Don't you dickheads have anything better to do?" I asked with my hands still over Ariel's ears.

"Don't you have anything better to do?" One of them said, imitating a puppy dog face. I don't know if I would call it a puppy dog face, because it looks like he just chugged a bottle of lemon juice.

"What the hell is that even supposed to mean? I have plenty of better things to do, but unfortunately, I have to ride this shitty bus with you fuck ups," I said and turned to Ariel.

"You didn't hear a thing," I whispered into her ear and she pretended to zip her lips and throw away the key.

The bus screeched to a stop at the middle school that my sister attends before continuing it's route to the high school. I'm glad my sister isn't in high school yet. I would have to kick so many people's asses, it wouldn't even be funny.

I honestly dreaded every day of school. Thank God I'm a senior. I plan on going straight into the reserve program at the local police station when I graduate so I can go into law inforcement without too many years of college.

The bus stops and I jump up out of my seat to get off, but I'm pushed back into my seat by that group of guys that taunted Ariel earlier.

"Excuse you," I said aloud just so they'd hear me.

"Thank you," One of them said sarcastically. What the hell? That statement didn't make any sense.

"If only your brain was as big as your ego," I said. That sentence got a few laughs from the group of giggly girls dressed in shiny clothes.

I quickly exited the bus and went to the cafeteria. There were a lot of people in there. Too many people. I couldn't stand it. I went to sit in the hallway and waited for the first bell. There were almost no people in the hall until the principal walked through with the school counselor. They were talking about a new student that is transferring here in two weeks. They stopped talking when they noticed me sitting here.

"Would you like to go to the cafeteria and sit instead of being out here all lonesome?" Mrs. P, the principal, asked me.

"No," I responded and they continued their conversation and their walk down the hall. I'm not sure if I heard them correctly, but I think they mentioned that he had a carrer in music. Had.

Oh well, I wasn't really paying attention anyways. The first bell rang and I went to class. The whole day went by in a quick blur. I think I heard them mention the new student's name in third period. Alex, I think it was. The day ended just as fast as it began and I was thankful because I hadn't run into those guys from the bus again.

I texted my dad and told him to come pick me and Ariel up from school because I didn't want to ride the bus again.

"Jo. How was school, sweetie?" My dad asked as soon as I plopped down in my seat. I love my dad with all my heart but sometimes he takes it a little too far with the pet names.

"It was okay. I've got a really bad headache and I really need a nap when I get home," I told him as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"That's fine with me," he said.

I felt my nose sting a little and then the blood started pouring.

My dad looked over at me and said, "Oh my. I think there are some tissues stuck in the door over there."

I looked and looked and there were no tissues.

"Dad, there aren't any," I said while continuing my search.

"They're probably on my side then. Let me check."

"No. No. I'm fine. Honestly, I probably won't wear this shirt again anyways."

"Oh! Here they are," my dad said and his eyes lost contact with the road for a whole two seconds.

"DADDY!" Ariel screamed and I looked back at her. Her face, red with tears, was the last thing I saw before everything went black.