| 13.2 | the final negotiation

❝It's your thing, do what you wanna do
I can't tell you, who to sock it to
.❞

Chapter Thirteen:
The Final Negotiation
(cont'd)

His words rung through the air, heavy and clear enough not to require a repetition. I thought a moment of silence would follow for us to digest what he had just said but no such time was granted as Jonathon Blythe, current CEO, was the first to react to the news.

"Is this your idea of a joke?"

He wasn't mad. In fact, he looked abnormally calm for a man who'd just heard his son renounce his right as heir. Mr. Blythe leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table and his face in his hands as he looked up at his son, awaiting a reply. The solemn look that Hans returned was answer enough.

"And you choose now to tell me this?"

Hans held up a hand. "Hear me out, father. I know you've pinned your hopes all these years on me to be your successor but we both know I am not worthy, nor do I possess the intellect to continue this company with the kind of drive and ambition it deserves." He paused and his eyes flickered over to me. "And I think we would both agree that the woman sitting next to you would be a much more capable successor for Innovus than I could ever dream of being."

A bolt from the blue is one thing. This was equivalent to a fucking bombshell in a land of unicorns and fairies. All eyes flew to my face as I sat there, staring at Hans with my mouth falling wide open like a fool's.

"You can't..." I cleared my throat. "You can't be suggesting that I become..."

"That's exactly what I'm suggesting." Hans' eyes lingered on mine for only a second longer before he reverted his attention to Mr. Blythe who was now staring at his son like he was seeing him for the first time. "The company would be in good hands father. Tris has worked in this industry long enough to know it's in and out's. She has the experience, the knowledge, and the qualities necessary of a leader to take over Innovus."

Hans smiled at me and nodded, reaffirming his thoughts.

"How long have you been planning for this?"

Mr. Blythe's lips were pulled into a thin line. He didn't look entirely pleased with the turn of events and I didn't blame him. Having to hand his company over to an employee who had joined about a year ago was foolhardy. Even I, in his position, would think twice but the disappointment etched across his face was not of business nature. It was personal.

"I thought you wanted to continue what I started, Hans. I thought since we..." he paused, hesitating before settling cautiously on one word, "reconnected, that you showed interest in taking over our company."

"That was always my plan, father. In fact, even before you and I came to terms, I was buying shares of our company without your knowledge with the intention of one day, taking over."

Hans gave his friend a hard pat on the back, who suddenly didn't seem all too comfortable being the center of our attention. Jasper bowed his head and stared at the carpet with a new found fascination for the ground as a blush settled across his face.

"A good 70% of Jasper's shares are truthfully mine. He never wanted to work his way up to the Board but he did it for me. I worked for this company, dad. I did it through Jasper."

The old man looked flabbergasted. "Why not tell me?" he gasped, breathy, staring between the two friends with wide, hurtful eyes. "I could easily have gotten you a place on the Board if only you'd asked."

"Except I didn't want to weasel my way in to my heritage. I wanted to earn it and prove myself."

"Then why are you giving up now?"

"Because this isn't what I want to do!" Hans' outburst made us all draw back in surprise. My back hit the chair hard enough to form a small bruise but the pain went unregistered as I watched Hans run his hands through his hair in frustration before smacking his palms flat on the table.

"This was never what I wanted to do," he repeated, slightly softer. "I wanted to be your son and not the product of a controversy. I just wanted to be accepted."

Mr. Blythe relaxed in his chair. His hands, balled into fists uncurled themselves as he let out a long breath, realizing just where Hans was going.

"I went about all of it the wrong way. It took masquerading as an escort and sabotaging a spirited woman's night for me to get set on the right path."

I fought a smile at his words. Clever, Hans.

"Now, everything finally makes sense. I'm accepted by the people that matter most. I have a purpose, a goal. I know what I want to do."

Mr. Blythe smiled. It reached his eyes and in that second, both relief and content had the effect of making him look decades younger than he really was.

"And what is that?"

Hans grinned and stepped back, releasing his grip on the table.

"Firstly, you're going to transfer your shares to Tris."

Mr. Blythe nodded. Hans waited for me to give my affirmation before continuing and I did, although still in a bit of shock, with a tiny smile.

"Then, Jasper here, is going to continue working in Innovus with his limited shares and resign as an active member of the Board."

"But your input has been valuable, Jasper!" Mr. Blythe appealed.

"Again, sir, most of it was Hans'." Jasper raised his hands to his side with a guilty, sheepish grin. "Besides, I need to focus on my own businesses. The bakery, restaurants, family inn, escort service, hotel chain-"

"Excuse me?" Did he say what I thought he said? "Escort service? Don't tell me that-"

Jasper had a stake in Prestige Services, that fishy agency I'd called up on my first night? He was the so-called friend that Hans had conveniently left details out about when I had asked? Was Jasper the real stroke of fate that had led me here? The boys' shit-eating grins confirmed the worst of my suspicions.

"I'll be damned." I sat back with a huff, folding my arms over my chest.

Mr. Blythe, oblivious to the unfurling tension, continued the more important discussion at hand by directing a question at his son. "And you? What are you planning Hans?"

Hans' grin widened till it was practically ear-to-ear. No longer nervous about coming out with the truth, he proclaimed vibrantly, "I'm going to sell off my shares in the company and start up my own record label."

_____

Song: It's Your Thing by The Isley Brothers

Vote goal: 100