16. Rebirth and Revelations

Start from the beginning

I let out a light laugh. "I think you're stuck with me this time," I say, glancing back to my wings.

Finally, he smiles. It's a tired smile, but I am happy to see it. "How?" He asks, shaking his head.

"I made a deal with my reaper," I reply, nervous as to how he will react to the news.

He gives me a worried look. "A deal? What kind of deal? Reapers only make deals when theres some type of sick twist."

I take a deep breath and glance over to Moskil. He's still seems to be out cold. "I told him that we would kill Moskil, and I would become queen of the demon domain if I could come back as a demon."

Colvin stares at me for a long moment. "Are you OK with that?" He asks, worriedly.

"I'd say I'm pretty OK with spending forever with you," I say, smiling.

"I loved you," a voice says from behind me. I gasp, jumping up and turning around, quickly to face Moskil. Colvin stands, too, staggering a bit, as Moskil takes a step closer. Rage burns in his eyes. "I loved you, and you loved me."

"What?" I snap. "What are you talking about?"

"All you are ever able to remember is King Colvin!" He says, raising his voice. "Never me. Never your very first love from your very first life."

Colvin steps in front of me. "What are you talking about, Moskil?" He says, firmly. "Are you stupid? You should be running right now."

"What's the point?" Moskil screams, emotionally, overlapping his and Colvin's sentences. "What's the point when you have finally officially won her as your queen, and I am left with nothing?"

I place my hand on Colvin's shoulder. "Let me by," I mumble, staring straight at Moskil as I begin to feel that damned sensation slowly spread through my chest. He notices, and his wild eyes lock onto mine.

Colvin glances back at me, confused. "What? Why?"

"I-" I say, hesitating. My voice lowers. "I think I'm remembering something. Please, move."

Colvin moves to the side. He seems bewildered, watching me move closer to Moskil.

I move so close that could reach out and touch him. "Thara," he whispers, his voice cracking as he gazes down at me.

I shake my head. "You know that's not my name."

He nods. "It was though, in the only life that you ever loved me, if even for a moment- You did. I thought that if I said it, it may trigger a memory."

"I don't think it will," I mumble, growing dizzy. "But this might." I gently place my hand on the side of his face, feeling his smooth, pale, skin under my finger tips. I gently graze them down his jawline, and he closes his eyes, letting out a heavy sigh. The feel of his skin as he wraps his hand around mine sends a wave of shock throughout my body.

"Please remember, Salem," are the last words I hear from Moskil, and I'm on the ground in a second.

***

I know as soon as I open my eyes that I am a passenger. I'm assuming that it's Thara's body, considering that that is who Moskil wanted me to remember.

I take in my surroundings, noticing that they are the same as they were the day that Moskil chased Thara through the black forest. I'm sitting in the middle of the same meadow. Then a thought pops into my head. What if Moskil was just trying to trigger this memory so that it could buy him some time to run off?

"Thara?" I hear a man's voice call.

My head turns, and I feel myself grin, widely, jumping up from my position in the tall grass. "Moskil!" I shout, running towards him.