Chapter 3

Keeping my cool was easy the next few days. Jackson had school to go to on the weekdays so I stayed home and learned from her mother. The alphabet was first. A simple string of letters and words that made no sense but was sang in a melodical and catchy way. I had yet to want to completely learn it (the letters made no sense). But I found myself singing it all day long. Whenever I was caught off guard I would sing it and the letters would sometimes get mixed up.

    It took a while but soon, along with the help of a certain loud mouth I was well on my way to memorizing it. But I was to soon learn that this was only the beginning of my studies. Not that they would last long anyway.

    A few weeks later I had become comfortable. It was only when a knock at the door disrupted the calm air of the warm Saturday.

    “Rhonda! It’s me Walt.” A gruff male answered the door with a voie I had hoped to never hear again. I prayed to never see again.

    My feet were quicker than my mind. By the time she had called my name I was already up and out the back door. I had discovered it in my first week. It was a great way to simply sneak out without any trace of you having left. There was no worry of your shoes scuffling the floor as it was carpet. But that time my sneakers were untied and unsteady on my feet. I hadn’t taken the time that morning to tie them. I was really worried about them tripping me. Besides I hadn’t learned to tie yet and that was an issue. But I had all I needed on me. The home was there behind me. And I would come back. The time now called for me to move on. What I didn’t know is that as I was leaving I had failed to say good-bye to Jackson. The girl forever worried about me for the next few years…

    My entire run lasted a good long while before my legs gave out and I had to stop. I was lost and I had no idea what to do at this point. I was gone and no one could have followed. The grass under my feet probably gave leeway to the weight but that was about it.

    His voice echoed on my head. I clutched the necklace around my neck and walked from then on. It was becoming late night and I was starting to miss the comfort of the carpet beneath my feet.  The stories… the snacks.

    The alphabet came to mind as I walked. The letter spilling from my mouth as I walked. Soon my voice even gave out and I had to stop singing.  But I had to keep going. How long had I been walking? How far was I from Jackson? How far was I from him?

    Then from nowhere… music. A soulful melody. A simple tune. My feet dragged her along following it unconsciously. It sounded like an angel. The angels I'd  heard about in the stories I read before leaving. Beautiful creatures with wing and halos. Maybe this was my angel. To take me away from it all.

    When I came too I was in front of a building packed and still filling itself. I was among the crowd. Being shoved and pushed I was tossed in front of the door.

    “Hello little lovely. Lose your folks?” a big smile and a couple of nicely New York accented words were directed at me. A young man looked down to me.

    “F...fullks?” I asked. What was a folk?

    He raised an eyebrow before shaking his head. “Got your ticket then doll?” he asked holding a small slip of paper up to me.

    First folks and now ticket? What was he talking about? “Tick...ut?” my head tilted slightly to the side I made no effort to read the slip.

    “Yah know what kid. I'll just let you in how about that?” He said a little pitying than generous. He let my head which I immediately ducked away from. He just shook his head before pushing me inside. The exact opposite way I wanted.

    And the crowd continued to flow in seamlessly after I had moved forward. Meaning there was no turning around. How did it come to this. There were people standing, taking seats, talking among themselves. Some of the talk were with words I had yet to understand. And some were looking to the stage pointing.

    I hadn't noticed the stage until after I did a little spin taking in my surroundings. The stage was pretty big (Big in my definition). And the people seemed to be losing time over it.

    “I can't wait to see her perform again. Lovely little lady she was.” one person said. His voice was filled with excitement.

    “To think a boy would develops such talent at a young age. It's absolutely breathtaking.” a woman said this. I listened to no more than few people comment before the lights darkened considerably.

    Then the stage was covered in light. Or one light in the center. From the side of the stage I saw a boy. Maybe a boy. He looked no different a girl. But deep down I knew I wanted him to be a boy.

    “Hello! Ladies and Gents. Thank you lovely people for coming out to see me perform. As always I, Octave, am happy to have the pleasure of meeting you.” He said and smiled taking a bow. In his hand was a wooden looking thing. And a very long stick.

    I almost scoffed and turned away to.continue to find a way out. But, that when he started playing. My feet rooted to their spot. I turned around and faced him. Everything had changed. This was beauty. And even time had stopped to see it.

    After awhile the flow of people became small and the front had a small gap as people took seats. I made my way closer and sat to the ground. I could feel the music talking to me.

    I don't known how long I was there. But the feeling of forever passed as he played. I was hooked. At least until the last song…