Prologue

Freedom.  I always had the longing to feel free. Though I’ve always been struggling to experience freedom, I haven’t embraced the euphoria even once so far. All the way through, I’ve been pretending, yet all I ever achieved to be was just an enchained soul, a mere shadow one would hardly notice, a copy, a puppet. I was always impersonating people who lived as free as the wind to the eyes of others. It never felt good to go through everyday pretending things are good and life is alright when you can never find who you really are.  Because then, you only feel like soap bubbles – free for a while yet knowing this moment or the next  you’ll have to disappear. I’ve tried almost everything yet none gave a sense of belonging. I still couldn’t find an identity.

I always went to bed every night wondering who I would be tomorrow; what to wear to escape the nasty comments and to fit in society. Long were the restless nights, gazing at the sky in search of an answer about the purpose of life, my life. And so often were times when every morsel of my body yearned to melt into the earth, to vanish completely. When I felt I was created weak. After all who was that strong one? Where to turn to? What’s that right track that has been eluding me so far? Where to feel belonged? The questions whirled and twirled around corroding my brains. Then, on one of those sleepless nights, something in particular struck me hard. I was Muslim of faith, and it shook me to the core when I saw that picture with the deep wordings: “Before you turn to dust, turn to your Lord.”  And  i instantly knew there remained a path I haven’t laid foot upon yet. The divine one.