10: Someday maybe

Opposite to all promises, they don't talk the next day. It's Saturday morning and there's little sounds moving down the hallway. Grey clouded lights are seeping through the curtains. Thomas doesn't want to know how late it is. Eyes half closed, he just clings to the warmth of another body.

Maven's head is still resting in the crook of his neck. Thomas remembers he wondered why it fit there so well the first time. With every little breath, air makes his skin shiver now, and from time to time the head moves, only a little, and the nose brushes over his pulse.

The pain is bad, but he doesn't complain. Not when he's warm and safe for now. It's a cocoon of blankets and pretending.

For the longest while he just holds to Maven, listening to his breaths, occasionally glancing over. He's never see him sleep before.

There's something soft to it, he's almost relaxed. Hidden underneath that is still a layer of friction, of someone being so uncomfortable with everything in the world he wants to freeze and hide. Around others, the pretending keeps coming. It's a little unsettling how good he can pretend he doesn't feel anything. Thomas mostly manages to see right through it, catching a glimpse. Other people, not so much.

Getting up is hard. Not only physical. When he finally makes it because he really needs to pee, Maven only stirs slightly.

He carefully limps over the hallway, checking the coast is clear. The last thing he needs is running into parents. Parents that are sure no fans to find a bruised and battered strange boy slipping out of their sons room. The colour of his blood indicates enough about his heritage to make it even worse.

When he finds his face in the mirror he doesn't see much resemblance to himself in that miserable creature.

Split lip and the black eyes , bruises and cuts spread over his face and arms, he can't believe nothing is broken. It feels like a car has run him over.

On the way back, he hangs his head out of the bathroom door, peeking through.

"They're not here." A voice behind him says.

Thomas would jump if his legs weren't useless. When he gets out and turns around he finds Maven's brother with a cup in his hands. He notices a silver gleam and remembers Maven's bracelet. It's an exact duplicate. Thomas takes a moment to study his frame, finding differences and resemblances to the boy he loves. They share the black hair. But there's still that warmth seeping right out of Cal's pores, and he's holding himself up and with so much confidence he could very well be a king. Thomas remembers the hostility and bristling respect Maven showed the first time Thomas asked about him. And despite every closeness he's still reminded of that second. That there isn't a simple answer.

His brown eyes are very observant. Thomas remembers the day Cal pulled him aside. Strange but pleasant, making his head hurt.

"Dude, " he forces his voice to say. "I almost lost it."

Poor choice of words. The fact this has multiple meanings does not get discussed. Cal has mercy enough to gloss over it.

"Maven still asleep?"

Thomas looks back in the direction of the door. Thinking of someone curled up along his bruised spine leaves a yearning ache in his stomach.

"Yeah. Think so."

He's lost in this talk. A part of him thinks Cal will just kick him out, but he's the reason Thomas got to stay in the first place. That's making Thomas mighty uncomfortable.

He owes him.

His life, probably.

"Want some coffee?" There's something behind it. Boy, Thomas thinks, I am in again. This will end freaking strange. But he can't say no. And he's feeling to rough to start a fight. His everything is tumbling upside down. It makes him a little nauseous. Like he's motion sick.