Prologue

Somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean

21 April 1989

"How long till our first subject is complete?" A strong, confident and almost impatient male voice came out through the speakers that were spread throughout the laboratory in which more 50 top scientists of different fields were working in absolute isolation.

Dr. Kramer, a balding man in his fifties and average height, turned away from his computer 

screen and looked at the camera closest to him and said in his British accent, "Less than an hour now. We are certain that unless no interruptions occur, Test Subject 47 would be successfully completed." They were all dressed in white formal wear, as if they were to get to a formal dinner as soon as this was done.

Since these people were believed to be dead to the world, there was no party to go to but in order to reduce the stress that had held them in an inescapable grip for the last few years, they had decided to pretend that they were going to have a formal party celebrating their release. Their mystery ‘warden’ had given them no trouble regarding this decision, just as they had both hoped and feared. It was expected that this would improve their working efficiency so there was no reason to stop it and everyone feared that they were not going to make it out of this place alive ever, so it meant nothing to him, whoever he was, to let them have these silly fantasy.

If the person on the other side was satisfied from Dr. Kramer’s response, there was no way to detect it in the blank tone which replied. "And are all the notes and steps logged into the Archives?"

Before Dr. Kramer could answer, another doctor, Dr. Michaels, who specialized in prosthetics, stood up with a frown on his face, "As per the orders, all the important and useless data has been logged into the Archives. We are entering an important stage so absolute silence is all I request for now." His tone was one of impatience and insubordination as he replied in order to be able to focus on what he was working on, not remembering what had happened to the countless others who had tried to defy their ‘keeper’.

 A few gasps erupted as several of the researchers, previously engrossed in their works, heard what Dr. Michaels had said. "As you wish." It was all the words people heard in the secret laboratory before Dr. Michaels’ screams filled the air as fatal electric current engulfed him. Others stepped away from him as he screamed for help. No one dared to take a step to help him as they knew that this place forbade any sort of compassion. Everyone was scared to even risk taking a step in his direction. This was the effect of the fear of the irremovable wristbands they had been forced to wear, capable of delivering fatal electric shocks to ensure compliance.

Dr. Michaels screamed for forgiveness but only a sarcastic response came from the other side, “We need silence, Dr. Michaels. Silence.” After that, faint sounds of chuckling were heard as Dr. Michaels fell down to the ground dead and his body twitched until every breath of life was out of him.

Realizing that they were equally likely to being killed right now if all of them didn’t act to please their captor, Dr. Jing shouted in his Chinese accent, "Get back to work people! We don't have time to waste now." The words broke the spell of dread that hung over the researchers but the tension was still in the air, suffocating them subtly.

"Stage 1 is complete." Dr. Singh's voice echoed in the laboratory and it began a series of similar 

announcements.

"Stage 2 is online." "Stage 3 is complete." "Stage 4 is active." Each announcement was followed 

by a loud buzzing generated in some part of the large well-equipped laboratory. By the time the