Thus, Ezio Auditore chose the courtesans to be his first allies.

The Rosa in Fiore was the place Niccolo had recommended, run by the Madame Solari, and while it was a grand sight with its multiple stories, pale walls, and red tiled roofs, he could not help feeling something was off. Perhaps it was the smell of the river, which wasn't exactly the cleanest, but he supposed it didn't matter. He needed to seek the Madonna and acquire her loyalty in whatever way he could. Well, except for one. He could never betray his wife, but he would do everything he could to ensure he could get the courtesans to find her location.

The Assassin approached the tall mansion, noting some drunks were out front as were men who did not look in terribly good health. They were mumbling something, but he could not make out what as he knocked on the tall, wooden door. It opened after a few moments, letting loose a mixture of aromas that filled his nose and revealed a blonde-haired beauty, her dress barely covering her assets. Her hair was tied up in the frivolous buns he once played with to tease the girls—among other things—and locks flittered down to her collar. Her eyes looked him over once before smiling coyly, eyelids drooping some. Years ago, it would have enticed him. Now he only thought back wryly on such memories, to have been so enamored with such women.

"Welcome to the Rosa in Fiore, stranger," she cooed, leaning against the door, causing her chest to show itself promiscuously.

He bowed his head politely, "Hello. Would be kind enough to call the owner for me?"

"Madonna Solari is not in," the woman replied, shifting back to a proper stance. Disappointment crossed her features, but was soon covered with a suspicious expression as she folded her arms over her chest. Ezio imagined not many men asked for the owner—certainly not a "stranger", but at least the women were apparently careful here.

"Do you know where she is?"

"I—."

"Help! Help!" a voice screamed, and both courtesan and Assassin turned to find another girl dressed not unlike the blonde rushing towards them. Her skin was pale and sweat was along her brow. Her eyes were wide with fright as she came to them, "Madonna Solari—."

The blonde took the woman's hands, "Lucia! We thought you were gone for good!"

"The men took us on a ship! They released me, but she—."

"Who took you on a ship?" Ezio interjected quickly, lifting his hand to grab her attention. The woman turned towards him and he saw hope flicker in her eyes.

"Slave traders, Mister. Near Isola Tiberina. They want coin in exchange for her life."

The Assassin scowled. Slave traders. Some of the worst scum out there, and so close to his headquarters? Even if it weren't for the courtesans' involvement, he couldn't allow them to remain.

"I will get her back. Go inside, and do not let anyone else in until I return in case they come back here," he told the blonde, whom nodded. She quickly pulled Lucia in with her, locking the door after. Good. They would be safe for now, which meant he was free to work without worry. The Assassin whistled for his horse, which came at once, and he took off as quick as he could through the streets. The only place a ship could dock was in the river on the southern edge where they could sail it out of the city and not worry for bridges. The ride took him through the poorer parts of the district, evading guards, and keeping a low profile.

He spotted the ship easily enough as he came upon the river's edge and dismounted. He could only see a few men by the rails, which meant the Madonna was either more towards the center or even down below. The latter was not as desirable an option, but he would handle it all the same. Still, he would prefer facing them on deck if he could. In the end, he supposed it didn't matter; he approached the boat and paused when a thief brandished a dagger at him. He looked beyond the man, and found another, and in his clutches was a woman with a knife to her throat. She didn't look much like a Madonna, rather just another courtesan, but it had to be Solari.