Lucas crossed his arms. "You managed to hit him back."

"I'm not one for fighting." Aiden replied with a wry smile. "I guess Hugh wasn't expecting me to even try to protect myself."

Lucas was quiet for a few moments. Aiden turned to the kitchen again. Don't regret it. He told himself. Don't regret it. He was telling the truth. He was putting it out there. He was doing what he stopped himself from doing when they were kids.

Part of him wanted Lucas to apologise. The other part told him it didn't matter. This would just happen again. Aiden would be miserable, again. This was Lucas. Aiden had to stop expecting him to be perfect.

"Sorry it turned out like this." Aiden went down the hall when Lucas didn't speak.

He propped himself up on the chair again and put the peas back onto his arm.

Did he feel any better?

No.

He'd been expecting something. Aiden rubbed his eyes. Even though he'd told himself not to, he'd been holding out a small ray of hope for ... something.

*

Evie came in a few hours later. Aiden was sitting with a cup of coffee and a fresh, cold bag of vegetables on his arm. Evie had sprung on him and examined his wrist with a worried crease in her brow.

"Is it broken?" Evie asked.

"Sprained." Aiden dumped the cold vegetables back on it, blocking her view.

She glanced past him to the hallway and smiled. "Morning."

"Welcome back." Connor greeted with a yawn.

Aiden slipped his arm into his pocket.

"When did you get in?" Connor sat down next to Aiden.

"Just now." Evie tugged at her hair, splattering droplets onto the counter. "The rain just about caught us."

"Did you enjoy it?" Aiden questioned.

"It was good." Evie nodded, "I got sick of my dad by the end, but still good. How did you sprain it?"

Aiden leaned against his good arm.

"I knew he'd done something." Connor muttered.

"He?" Evie repeated. Her expression dropped. "Lucas did that?"

"No!" Aiden jolted. "Why would you think he meant Lucas?"

"No reason." Evie said quickly. "Hugh?"

"Yeah. Hugh." Connor confirmed.

Evie's eyes narrowed. Her jaw tensing. "That – can't you report him or something?"

"I did." Aiden said, "And he's gone."

"Good." Evie said, "What a prick."

"Agreed."

"You don't even know what happened." Aiden said mildly. The conversation was making him uncomfortable. But it seemed everything was making him uncomfortable recently.

"You didn't report him because he hurt you 'by accident'" Evie scoffed, "And that dude was always giving you dirty looks."

Evie must have caught on to his discomfort. "It's been dealt with, so I'm letting it go." She let out a long breath for emphasis. "So. When do we head out? Tomorrow? Rain is meant to let up by the evening."

Aiden cringed. Right. Camping trip. Lucas wouldn't want to go with him. Aiden only had to think about it for a moment. Lucas and Connor were here to get along. Aiden was the guide. If him going meant Lucas wouldn't, then it was obvious what should happen.