Chapter 16

hi everyone, before anything else, i would like to apologise for not updating for almost 2 months now. i had completely neglected my writing to focus on exams, but that's no excuse bc i was also just lazy and uninspired. anyway i'm getting back into it, but what i originally came in here to write about was drarry after school, like as adults together. so i'm gonna speed it up a bit to get there so i can maybe write a new story? idk pls comment if you're into that idea and if u think i should write more things (maybe different ships, like romione or wolfstar..?) so yeh, i hope you enjoy this chapter, and once again i'm really sorry!! love xx

Chapter 16

Over the next two weeks, Harry barely spoke to anyone. Every single day after lessons, he would drag his feet round to McGonagall's office, hoping for a shred of news from the Ministry. They had kept all the Death Eaters and Malfoy in custody since that night. All Harry could do was think about him, day and night. He attempted to hatch a plan to break him out, but he soon realised it would only land them both in more trouble than he was already in, and he didn't want to make matters worse. So, he kept to himself, simply going from class to class, writing down the odd spell, never fully focused.

Two Thursdays after the arrest, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were all seated in front of the fire in the Gryffindor common room, parchment and textbooks spread all across the coffee table. Harry was sprawled across the maroon armchair, half-listening to Hermione explain Charms to Ginny when Ron spoke up.

"Come on, mate, you've got to stop this," he told Harry.

The raven-haired boy only opened one eye and glanced over at his best friend. Ron had a pitiful look in his eyes, and Harry sat up against the cushions, resting his elbows on his knees. He hadn't been eating properly either, and his stomach made a statement at that moment. He had neglected his dinner, and was getting thinner and thinner every day.

"Look, we've done all we can to get you back on your feet, but you clearly have no intention of letting this go," he continued, "you're getting so thin, you're not following lessons, and you barely talk to us anymore!"

Harry sighed heavily before answering. With a hand on his forehead, his thumb rubbing his temple, he replied, "I'm really sorry, Ron, I'm just as annoyed as you are that I can't get a damn grip on the situation," he groaned as he sat back in the chair, looking Ron properly in the eyes, "I never imagined it would affect my quite so much, but I can't seem to bring myself to act any differently now... Draco is constantly on my mind, and I'm just so worried about him every minute of every day."

"I understand, mate, you really seemed to... err... care about him..." he coughed awkwardly, "but this is damaging the other areas of your life. You know that we're always gonna be here for you, but I mean, you're not exactly giving us much to work with here," he chuckled.

The corner of Harry's lips upturned, showing the ghost of a smile. He looked down at the floor, shaking his head lightly at his best friend's words. He was right. Of course he was, they all were, he needed to get a hold of himself.

He looked back at Ron, who had a sort of hopeful look in his eyes, and he nodded at him. At that, Ron knew he had triumphed, and a grin spread across his face. His eyes lit up, and he pulled Harry into a manly hug. They tapped each other's backs and pulled away, an awkward cough that they both attempted to cover up rather lamely. The two girls looked over at them, and when they saw such a heartfelt scene, looked at each other with a smile on their faces. They were going to be all right after all.

******

On Friday morning, a small but pristine envelope fell onto the table in front of Harry. He picked it up, and practically ripped it open as soon as he identified the Ministry's seal. So many thoughts were racing through his mind, and every one was about Draco.