Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Harry's POV

I hadn't spoken to Draco all day and we hadn't even had any lessons together, so we hadn't particularly crossed paths. I really wanted to see him; I wanted to ask if he was okay, given that he had allegedly been unwell yesterday. I had to assume that he had stayed in his common room all day seeing as I hadn't seen him at breakfast or lunch either. When he wasn't at dinner either, I knew something was definitely quite wrong. Although, I doubted that he would go a full day without eating, so I shoved half of the contents of my plate down my throat and ran off down the corridor towards the Kitchens.

I walked in, and I saw the Elves working harder than I had ever seen in the past. I had never paid them a visit during actual dining times, not wanting to disturb them. And as I entered a House-Elf only room, I realised Draco must do the same. So I slunk onto the floor next to the entrance and waited for him to show up.

After about a quarter of an hour, my stomach was beginning to feel a bit funny; I came to realise that I could've eaten my dinner with everyone else and then waited for Draco.

But soon enough, I saw a tall svelte form waltz over to where I was sitting. As soon as he caught a glimpse of me, his eyes widened and he panicked slightly, debating only for a second whether to turn on his heel or not, hastily choosing to former. However, I called out to him, hoping to catch his attention.

"Draco...!" I cried.

For barely a second, he stopped moving, indicating a fraction of a second of thinking. I decided to go along with it when he dramatically turned his right foot to face me.

"Yes?" he inquired, slower than necessary.

I thought about what to say for a few moments. I had called him over but I didn't know what I wanted to accuse him of. Deep down, I wanted to shout at him for leaving me at the Room of Requirement and making up some lame excuse all for nothing. We both knew it was Valentine's Day yesterday and he was just tying to get out of it with anything he could think of. Although, after a few moments I let my common sense dominate and realised that he wouldn't leave me without explanation, so he probably did have a serious problem. He raised his eyebrows inquisitively, waiting for me to keep talking.

"Are you okay?" I went with a simple clear question.

He shrugged weakly before dramatically sighing and shrinking down onto the floor next to me.

"I don't really want to talk about it," he refused to make eye contact with me and he mumbled so quietly I thought I would have to ask him to repeat himself.

"Okay, well is there anything I can do to help anyway? I hate seeing you like this."

"No, I'm afraid there isn't. It's neither your fault nor mine, and there's no way to fix it. And now I feel awful for ruining our Valentine's Day," he sighed again.

"Honestly Draco don't worry about that. It's just a day like any other and we can easily make another one special," I winked at him, a smirk on my lips, "if ever things go wrong in your life, I'll drop everything to be with you, I promise," I smiled.

At that, he finally turned his head to face me. He barely smiled but I knew it was genuine. He assured me that for his part nothing had changed between us but that he would like to have some time to himself. Draco didn't specify quite how long he would need, but I nodded slowly and agreed. Of course I would have liked to continue on as we had been doing, but I knew he needed this time, so I would give him all the space he needed.

We sat there in silence for about ten minutes, and then I accompanied Draco back to the Slytherin common rooms. I gave him a soft peck on the cheek and then returned to my own dorms.