Chapter 5

Chapter 5

(Back to the beginning of the Christmas holidays)

Harry's POV

I waved Ron and Hermione off at the platform and then headed back to Gryffindor Tower. I entered my room and lay down on my bed for a few minutes. I needed to take in the fact that I would be basically alone for two whole weeks. I glanced over at my Firebolt and decided to go out for a spin. That was definitely a perk. I could ride whenever I wanted; there were no matches or interruptions. So I quickly changed into my Quidditch clothes and grabbed my practise snitch and broomstick and strolled down onto the field.

As soon as I reached the sports field, I noticed a student in the air. "Bollocks," I thought to myself, I would either have to share the space or leave. But before I could make my decision, the person in question turned around. I couldn't mistake the Slytherin; white-blond hair, svelte yet lean body, and an arrogant sneer showing off his self-pride: Draco Malfoy. As soon as he spotted me, he leaned forwards on his broom and dove towards me. He stopped short just a few inches from my face. Malfoy then gracefully stepped off of his broom and walked over to me, his back straight, shoulders back, an all-around confident stride.

"Come to join me, Potter?" he asked, only a slight hint of sarcasm in his silky voice.

"Don't worry, Malfoy, I'm not here to bother you or wha'ever," I sighed.

"Oh it wouldn't bother me. We could practise together and see if you're still as lousy as ever," he joked. I thought I saw a small wink after that, but I couldn't be sure.

I agreed, although taken aback, to play against him. I kicked off on my Firebolt and he hastily followed. He almost immediately caught up to me and I set up my practise snitch. I tossed it into the air and we got a glimpse of gold before it flitted away. We then both turned abruptly in opposite directions, frantically searching for the snitch. I circled the field, carefully watching for anything that could be flying around. I spotted the tiny ball and dove for it. It was hovering about halfway down the Ravenclaw stands. Malfoy had caught on just a second after me and also dove. We flew side by side for only a couple of moments before I pulled up at the very last second, leaving Malfoy the only option of veering to the right very suddenly. He swore loudly while I giggled, flying upwards to get a better view of the field.

This went on for about fifteen good minutes of flying around after the golden ball, and occasionally each other. He was obviously doing it just to annoy me. Eventually, the snitch was just a few feet in front of me, so I pushed forward with everything I had. But Malfoy had snuck up behind me and swooped in to grab the ball, forcing me to stop immediately, but I didn't have enough reaction time and I ended up flying straight into the Slytherin. He cried out as we collided and we both fell quickly to the ground.

"Ow! I think something's broken...!" he groaned. It wasn't even an accusing tone, he was just complaining like a normal person would.

"I'm so sorry, Malfoy, I couldn't stop myself in time."

"It's okay, I flew in unexpectedly," he was now holding his left elbow with his right hand and his face was all twisted up in pain.

"We need to get you to the hospital wing," I told him. I lifted him up; careful not to touch his left arm, and put his right arm around my shoulders, forcing him to shift his weight onto me. I whispered Wingardium Leviosa and made our brooms follow us in.

We reached Madam Pomfrey and she helped me place Malfoy on a bed. She declared him to have a dislocated shoulder along with a bruised knee. I felt a bit guilty, but I knew Madam Pomfrey would have him back up and running in no time. She also noticed my wrist and gave me a few painkillers; I had only barely twisted it. I stayed with Malfoy for about half an hour while the medicine put him to sleep. We only made some awkward small talk about the previous game. I apologised again and he joked that he would be strong enough to survive.