02 // professional absentee

EDITED: 12 June, 2021.

||

April 26, 2001. 7:23 P.M.

Altaira was extremely excited, she was about to meet her real dad!

The plane landing had been a bit terrifying, but the pilot had managed to land safely, so it was okay. Altaira and her agent guardian made their way quickly through the airport security and baggage claims, Mr. Coulson flashing his S.H.I.E.L.D. badge when anyone questioned them, or the lines were too long.

Mr. Coulson led them to another unmarked black vehicle. The drive was quiet, Altaira too anxious to engage in small talk. Her foot bounced uncontrollably from nerves, and she sat on the very edge of her seat. They left the city, taking an exit off the highway. The houses became more separated and rarer, larger and more immaculate. They drove along the coastline, and Altaira pressed her face against the glass window, staring at the ocean with awe. She couldn't having ever seen the ocean before.

It was so blue.

It may have been growing late, but she'd never felt so awake. She was about to meet her father.

They turned onto a large driveway, which led to the largest house she'd ever seen. She stared at it in awe, eyes wide. Altaira turned to the agent man, "I'm going to be living here?"

"That's the plan, kiddo."

In front of the giant mansion, two women stood. Both wore blouses and pencil skirts, but neither seemed to hold a particularly positive view of the other. Once the car came to a stop, the shorter woman stepped forward with a warm smile. She helped Altaira out of her seat, "hi, darling, I'm your social worker. Welcome to Malibu!"

Altaira took a deep breath of fresh ocean air.

"Hi!" Altaira smiled, waving brightly. She was practically jittering on her feet, eyes jumping from place to place. Compared to the splendour of the house, she felt inadequate in her blue dress, with its ends fraying and the colour faded from too many washes and sun exposure. She discretely placed a bandaged hand over the large ketchup stain that she'd never managed to fully scrub out. "It's nice to meet you!"

The social worker switched her briefcase to other hand, introducing Altaira to the reddish-orange haired lady who had stayed back. "Altaira, this is Pepper Potts. She's your father's assistant."

Ms. Potts seemed to cringe at the word 'father', before she quickly replaced her bland smile. Her orange hair was pulled back into a tight professional bun, a clipboard held against her body. She looked really pretty.

Altaira practically jumped in excitement, losing all interest in the social worker. "Is he nice, Ms. Potts? Will he like me? What's his favourite colour? Is it blue? Mine is blue!" Mr. Coulson stepped out of the car finally, nodding to the two women.

He grabbed Altaira's measly possessions from the back, passing it over to Ms. Potts. Phil Coulson leaned down to pat the six-year-old girl on the shoulder, "alright, kiddo, I got to go."

"You're leaving? But what if..." She bit her lip nervously.

Phil smiled reassuringly, "you'll be fine, promise. You'll have a great time. Ms. Potts are your father are... good people." He tried to keep the hesitation, the uncertainty of Stark being able to act like a proper father, out of his voice.

But it was enough for Altaira, her fears dismissed by his reassurances. She was smiling again, "thank you for everything, Mr. Coulson. I'm gonna miss you."

He smiled sadly, "I'll miss you too, kiddo." Though he hadn't spent much time with her, she was endearing. A smart and well-mannered child. Stark probably won't ever understand how lucky he was to be blessed with her.