12. Without a Goodbye

((I know, I know, I havent updated in forever, school has just been really busy. Now its summer so i plan on updating way more frequently :). This is just a short chapter from Messenger's Point of View, hope you guys enjoy! Don't forget to vote and comment, it really helps me))

Messenger was waiting for his sister to come home. He just got his little brother to fall asleep and was tapping his finger impatiently against his thigh. Of course he was worried about his brother's well being, but he seemed to be okay. Kit, on the other hand, was pretty hurt. He was glad that he found her the other night in time to bring her to the Brooklyn lodging house to be taken care of.

He recalled how beat up, bruised, and lifeless she looked, and, for some reason, it was ingrained into his brain. Her skin was as pale as a plain sheet of newspaper and her body as limp as last night's tomato paste noodles. The past couple of days seeing her rosy and heavily bruised, but still rosy nontheless, cheeks and staring into her eyes, which were full of vivacity that he craved to witness being accompanied by her mannerisms and movements, made him slowly go nuts. He felt terrible for not being able to keep her company today like he had before and was anxious to see her again. Suddenly, pulling him out of his thoughts, he heard a key go into the door's lock. He quickly pulled the front door open and saw his startled younger sister.

"Hey. I gotta go, be back later. Jimmy's sleepin' in da room." He said quickly as he rushed out the door.

He sprinted for the Brooklyn newsies-lodging house. It was already close to 6 o'clock PM, and he really wanted to see Kit. He ran across the Brooklyn bridge and finally got to the lodging house. He ran up the stairs and opened the door that led to where the newsies' bunks were. He quickly notices that Kit's bed was empty.

"Hey, Messengah, did ya just run a marathon?" Risky joked.

"Where's- where's Kit?" Messenger inquired, trying to catch his breath and leaning on a nearby wall.

"Oh, she's not here." Hot Head said calmly.

"What?!" Messenger asked, standing straight up in shock, immediately forgetting about how tired he was from running. 

"Yup."

"Wha'? How? When?" Messenger asked feverishly, he felt his heart pounding in his chest. He hoped that she was ok. 

"Ask Girry, he knows." Messenger went to Girry's bunk and saw that he was talking to Decks. Messenger's head filled with the worst case scenarios. 

"Girry, where did Kit go?" Messenger asked urgently.

"She went back ta Manhattan." Girry replied, glancing at Decks.

"What?! How'd she get there? Ya let her go by hers'self?" Messenger all but shouted, he balled his fists at his sides. How could they just let her leave like that?! In her condition?! Are they insane?! She'd hurt herself even more, maybe even end up killing herself!! Messenger thought to himself. 

"Calm down, Cowboy an' Blink came ovah ta bring 'er back ta Manhattan." Said Girry.

Decks and Girry saw the anger in Messenger's eyes flicker to sadness as he absorbed the information. 

"Messenger, she was bound to go back soonah o' latah." Decks said.

Messenger nodded, his head hanging low. "Does Spot know?" he asked quietly.

"Not sure, don't know if he'll care." Decks said.

"But he did seem pretty noirvous when she was covered in blood last night." Girry stated, recalling the night when Kit got her period . Decks nodded in agreement.

Messenger's eyes widened in suprise and worry. 

She was covered in wHat??? 

"What? Is she okay?!?" Messenger inquired anxiously. 

"Yeah, Ms. Callihan helped 'er out." Decks said reassuringly.

"Don't worry Messengah, she'll be fine." Girry hastily added, giving him a comforting slap on the shoulder.

There was a pause as Messenger contemplated on what to do now.  

"Well, I guess I'll be headin' home now, see ya guys around." Messenger decided, his posture visibly languid. 

Messenger then left as quickly as he came. He walked along the street light lit  cobblestone sidewalk, hands in his pocket. He kicked rocks and shuffled home. He didn't even get to say goodbye to her.

 ((Vote and Comment (Y) ))