o n e

-  "I like the idea, that someone somewhere is made for you forever"

'Do you believe in soulmates?' upon hearing that her best friend looked at her curiously.

'Seriously, of all questions this is what you ask?' he looked back at the sky, after a minute he turned again and saw that she was actually waiting for an answer. 'I don't, but I know you do' he stated already knowing the answer. His best friend was a hopeless romantic after all, she always played safe but still hoped that one day she would meet her prince on the white horse who made waiting worthwhile.

'I know it is kind of impossible, I would like to believe that there is someone out there that is made just for me' Faith answered with a wistful look in her face. She then sighed. She turned to look at the sky, it calmed her as she laid on the grass.

'Even if he existed, the chances of meeting him are minimum' she said after a while.

André knew Faith like the palm of his hand, their friendship has been going on for eight years now and even after they spend four years apart it was as if a day hadn't pass at all. 'Seriously though you need to find a boyfriend this year, how long are you going to be single for?' André asked changing the subject.

Faith had s small smile 'how about when you find a boyfriend I'll find one' she said and stuck her tongue out at him.

Before he even had the chance to answer her a phone started ringing, Faith groaned knowing exactly who it was and what they wanted. 'Yes mother, how may I help you with?' André started snickering on the way Faith answers her phone to her mother, each and every time. 'Yes, I will come in a ten minutes' she said.

'I'm with André' she continued, hoping that will make a difference. 'I will have time to pack, don't worry'. André's face fell, just as Faith turned to look at him when she hung the phone.

'So you're going to your dad's?' he asked sadly, slumping his shoulders. Faith made a small smile. 'You know you can always come with me. There is space and I'm sure my dad won't mind', she tried to convince him.

It's been a few weeks since she came back from Italy, where she was studying, and they have never been a day apart since then. André made a thoughtful face 'I'll think about it, maybe in a few weeks, there is nothing to do there and I still have to go to work'.

Faith smiled wholeheartedly this time. 'How about you take a few days off, and come to relax? It is really peaceful out there and besides Cara is going to be coming as well in a few weeks' she said.

She knew without André around and Cara abroad, it would be really boring. Her and her siblings had almost nothing in common and the secluded town where her dad lived had nothing exciting to do, as far as she knew. She usually strolled around the many bookstores it had and spend her summers reading, while her siblings hang out with the friends they had there. Unfortunately, her mother made them spend the whole summer there every year, only a handful of times had they managed to get out of it for a few weeks.

André sighed, while rolling his eyes 'ugh, fine I'll come!'

Faith made the biggest smile and hugged the hell out of him 'Thank you! Thank you! I love you, you're the best'.

André smiled warmly at her 'Well, I am the best', he answered cheekily.

'Maybe soulmates are the people who stand by us that we can't do without' she said softly to him as the strolled back from the field they were laying on, which was at the back of their old high school their usual hangout spot. Her ruffling his hair and him complaining how she ruined his hairstyle.

Her brother would be driving them to her father's, as he got his driving license, which Faith hadn't and was definitely a better driver than her sister. As they were loading their bags in his car that he treated like his baby, Faith started counting her sister's bags. Her and her brother packed a suitcase and a duffle bag each but her sister had three suitcases by herself. There was literally no space so they had to put a few in the back seat.

She felt a bit down, she couldn't help but think how lonely it would be until her friends would join her. Thank god her dad owned a Jack Russell that wanted to play all day long or she would have been by herself. She never got to see much of her father anyway, he was always busy in his office, never really paying attention to them. Sometimes she wondered why they even came to the town to spend time with him since they barely even saw him.

To be honest she was feeling down since she came, as she didn't get the warm welcome she expected. Everyone had been so busy with their own lives that they barely noticed she arrived after so long abroad. It is what it is. As the car started to pull out of their driveway, she put her headphones on closing her eyes, thinking of the summer that lay ahead of her.

Sun was shining through her eyelashes, successfully waking her up from the nap she was in. She rubbed her eyes a few times and noticed that they had just entered the town that was surrounded by a huge forest. Rhododendron, Oregon was truly a beautiful place. The sunlight was coming through the trees, soft lofi music playing, I mean it was perfect for her.

As soon as they started passing by the town square where the shops were, she could clearly see all the locals turning their heads to see who it was. They couldn't exactly go unnoticed as her brother's owned a red sports car that you could spot from miles. That was one of the things that see disliked about the town, unlike the city where they lived, the people here were very nosey and made no move to hide it.

Soon, her father's house came into view, it was a beautiful big two story house with an attic, stones decorating its walls, it fitted right in the middle of the woods. But it was empty as her father lived there by himself, secluded.

He came out to welcome them just as they parked. He looked exactly the same as before, some white hair started coming out of the sides of his hair but that was it.

As soon as she got off the car the familiar feeling came again. She looked around frantically in the woods, trying to spot something, anything.

She always felt it when she visited the town, she knew.

Someone was watching over her.