Her Best Friends

Esther.

Amina had always been an attention seeker. That much was obvious. Why else would she be missing ten seconds till she had to blow the candles on her cake for her eighteenth birthday? I scoffed as Jake started looking for her just as the countdown got to ten. I was standing right beside him and yet for some reason, he couldn't just waste his new year's kiss on me.

I quickly shook my head, willing away the bad thoughts. She was my best friend and I ought to be happy for her. Although sometimes it was difficult to remember.

Amina was perfect. Looks, brains, grades, charisma, she had it all. Even her relationship was absolutely perfect. Her parents and siblings doted on her. Imagine this huge party with so many people. Counting down to the first day of a new year which happened to be her birthday.

Aside from having the most envied life ever, she also had everyone thinking of her as they began each new year.

Lucky bitch.

I downed the contents of my cup, longingly watching Jake scour the crowd for his beloved. My best friend. Might as well find someone to latch on to. Preferably someone not completely enamoured by that self-centered slut.

---

Dayo

Ten,

I groaned, disconnecting my lips from the voluptuous girl pressed against me. Amina would blow her candles in ten seconds.

To be truthful, I hadn't really paid much attention to her in the previous months. But when she texted to remind me to attend her eighteenth birthday, I simply had to accept. After all, we'd been best friends for seven years.

She'd always been there for me, now that I think about it. She was a great friend. I guess I sort of owed it to her to be there right now.

I guess I'd return to this beauty later. Sheila, was it? I don't really care. Her ass was all that mattered.

I stumbled through the crowd of people, depositing myself beside Esther, Amina's other best friend. She was kind of plain, if you asked me.

But I guess she'd been a good friend. Better than I had been in the past few years.

I looked around for the birthday girl, frowning slightly. The hand on the big clock landed on twelve.

Midnight.

Amina wasn't there.

And then we saw it.