"All nine balls are of equal size and weight," continued Roland. "The selector produces results that are 100% random. Does everyone remember his or her number? We shall now begin selecting the first two duelists for the finals, round one! I'll engage the machine. Random select!"

The machine started the shuffles the balls around in its dome.

"Remember, if your number is chosen, you'll be participating in the first duel of the Battle City Finals! Since there are nine people here, we will have four duels and then a fifth one for the last remaining number against a random from the four previous winners.

"And the first duelist is," said Roland as the first ball came out, "number six! Ryou Bakura!"

"Me? I duel first?" asked a confused Ryou.

"You sure you're alright, man?" asked Tristan. Ryou just laughed.

"Stand by while we choose the next duelist," said Roland as the machine kept going. "Please not the selection process is final. When the second duelist is chosen, both participants must proceed directly to the arena.

"Bakura's opponent in the first duel is . . . duelist number three, Yugi Moto. The first duel of the Battle City Finals will begin immediately in the Stratos dueling arena."

"I'm guess I'm battling Yugi!" said a happy Ryou. "This should be fun."

"I wonder how this is going to go," said Lilly to herself as she looked at the two boys.

"This duel will be played in accordance with the Battle City rules and regulations. The loser will relinquish his rarest card to the winner as well as be expelled from the finals. The winner will advance.

"The Battle City Finals are about to begin! The arena is located in the upper deck!"

"How many decks are on this thing?" questioned Joey in annoyance.

'Why do I get the feeling that Joey is going to get lost?' thought Lilly to herself.

"Duelist six and three, follow me," said Roland, ignoring the others gasp in surprise. "Those not dueling are welcome to observe. Take the central elevator to the Stratos level."

"Awesome. I'm there!" said Tristan with a smile.

Yami and Ryou followed Roland while the others went a different route. Everyone looked around, impressed with the dueling arena and the view. The Kaiba siblings stood on one side while everyone else stood on the other.

"All right, I'll make this speech quick so we can begin this duel," said Seto with his arms crossed. "Kaiba Kraft Three is now cruising at an altitude of 4,000 feet. The strong winds and cold air will test your strength and stamina. If you can't take it, you don't belong here."

"Yeah! I dig this little twist!" said an excited Tristan.

"I have to admit it: Kaiba does know how to throw a tournament," said Duke.

"Another thing, please be careful with how close you get to the edges. Though there are railings, we can't prevent stupid," said Lilly with a smirk. Everyone looked at Joey.

"Why is everyone looking at me!" yelled Joey in annoyance.

"Are you prepared to lose it all?" asked Ryou to Yami.

"I won't lose. Before we begin this duel, why don't you tell me who you really are and stop this charade?" asked Yami. Ryou just chuckled. "All right, have it your way, then, but I think I know who you are."

'What's that?' thought Lilly as something appeared around Ryou's neck. 'Is that a Millennium item!?'

"It is you!" said an angered Yami. "The Spirit of the Millennium Ring!