Chapter 2- You Feel Me?

Start from the beginning

"I know, but promise y'all gone look after each other."

"Of course, we always do." Drea explained.

I had nodded my head before reaching over for my bags. Montrell helped grabbed the others and we turned to head for the door. Renée and I had said our goodbyes this morning before she went to work, she so badly wanted to ride to the airport with Montrell, and I, but I explained how it wasn't necessary to call in and get herself docked with points just for to see me off to a stupid ass plane. She had laughed me off right before she busted out in tears. Guess that was the start of my emotional ass day. Renée, and I always been tight, just as tight as Montrell and I, only difference being Montrell understood me, Renée, and I never got one and other, but I guess that's why we've always been tight, we've always been trynna figure each other out.

Montrell, Drea, Mesha and I all walked outside to the car while my mama stayed on the porch, after dropping the bags to the trunk I turned to hug Drea and Mesha one more time before looking back towards mama. She smiled lightly and waved before blowing me a kiss. I gave her a small smile back and turned to get in the car. Montrell did the same before starting his truck up, and pulling off from the curb. I couldn't imagine a week away from my family, and now here I am about to spend 3 months plus, away from them with a man I barely even know besides a weekly phone call.

I guess Montrell was thinking the same thing I was when we came closer to the airport because he glanced over at me and turned the music down. "Aye, Ka, I know you don't know our pops like that, but he a stand up man. Believe me, you ain't got nunin' to worry about wit' him, but he gone be on yo ass, try and follow his rules if he give you any. He just trynna look out."

"He better not give me any rules, what I look like, a little ass kid or something?"

"You don't gotta be one, but you do gotta think. This shit foreign to you, he know this place better than you so if he give you any rules I'm sure it's gone be in yo best interest."

"I guess." I shrugged. He had a point, but again, I barely know our dad, definitely not like they do.

My last in person memory of our pops was when I was five, and he was saying he'd be back to see me, but he had to go. So my last encounter with him was left with a lie, and for that I don't feel him. For that, I don't understand him, being a 'stand up guy' mean something different to me clearly because no stand up guy gone lie to they kid and then never come see 'em again, not even for my graduation.

The rest of our drive was silent until we got outside of the airport in the drop off lane. I looked at all the people smiling and waving goodbye, and just excited to get where they were going, and wished it was the same shit I felt.

Montrell put the car in park and hopped out heading to the trunk to grab my bags, and I followed suit. We grabbed two each before walking to the automatic double doors, that's where Montrell would leave it all to me so he wouldn't get ticketed for leaving his car behind. He looked down at me, and his brown eyes twinkled a little like he was ready to cry, but just as quick as it came it had left. He cleared his throat, and looked me square in the eyes causing a serious demeanor.

"Listen Kadeejah, treat this like a new experience. I don't want you to leave no more than you want to, but maybe ma right, maybe this'll do you some good. For real, and don't be so hard body to new people, make some new friends, but don't let no nigga talk you into no bullshit. You can be soft to a nigga, and stay on yo toes."

"Alright Trell, but I ain't promising y'all nothing. I'm gone try to make this a good experience because ain't no point in being miserable for months." I finally cracked. "And don't worry, I ain't thinking about no summer fling."