4. Past catching up

Start from the beginning

Next minute one of my employees, Alice comes and hands me the minutes from our meeting and I get myself busy with work.

Mia's pov:
"The lunch will be here soon." Annie tells me but my concentration keeps going to my phone.... I want to open and see but I also don't want to care about it because its only a contract.... we aren't actually dating so why am I caring so much?

"What are you thinking so much?" Annie gets me out of my thoughts. I shake my head and whisper nothing.
"Is it about Jacob Miller?" She asks me.
"Who is Jacob Miller?" Someone interrupts our conversation, when I look at the person who asked us.... it's Annabelle's brother and my ex boyfriend Aiden.
"Why do you care and what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in hospital right now? Don't you have a day shift?" Annie asks her in irritation and looks at me with a sorry expression.

He still looks the same... handsome Aiden whom I fell in love with in high school. After our breakup Annie has stopped talking about her brother to me, she makes sure we don't bump into each other at all because she didn't want to hurt me.
But I always knew that I was the only one in this relationship... he was never there. He will always be my first love but also my reason to close myself down from people.
I decide to stay normal with him and stand up to shake hands with him, "Aiden, long time since we met. How are you doing?"
He clears his throat and looks at me weirdly but does the same, "Mia, I am good just really busy in the hospital." He tells me awkwardly. Aiden is a doctor in a hospital and one of the reasons for me to like him so much was because he is just not handsome but was great in studies as well and he always had his priorities set.
"Anyways, Annie I'll leave, it's getting late... Kevin must be waiting for me."
"But lunch?"
"Some other time okay?" I tell her and she still looks at me with a sorry expression.
I hug her and say bye to Aiden and hurriedly leave from there. Its been years to the breakup but it took me time to get out of it. He was my first love.... my first kiss and my first heartbreak.

I and Kevin go to the Ngo together to meet the kids and they get really happy to see him.
"Mia, thankyou for doing so much for Kevin because of you he will now make his dreams come true. He doesn't have parents but sure has a great elder sister like you." The owner of the Ngo, Mrs Parker tells me with tears in her eyes.
"Mrs. Parker.... don't thank me... the work is done by some other angel. I just helped him as much as I could." She hugs me and cries a little.
"Why don't you bring that angel here? So we could thank him personally."
"I will try ma'am." Mrs Parker has been taking care of all these kids from last 15 years and she's close to everyone especially Kevin.

I spend some time with the kids and head back home in evening. I reach home, get changed and sit down to read some of concepts to teach my kids tomorrow when my phone rings. It's Annie,
"I am sorry for today. I didn't know he was coming."
"Why are you apologizing Annie? Besides its been 4 years since everything ended. I think we should forget about it and be normal again. He's your brother and was my close friend too."
"Is this the Jacob Miller effect?"
"Shutup!"
"Are you free this Saturday to catch a movie?"
"No... I have to meet him."
"I am so jealous of you right now. Fresh and new love in the air. I just wish this wasn't a contract and you guys were actually dating."
"Are you crazy? I can't stand that guy for more than six months." I lie and try to show her that I don't care but I have started to care a lot.
"Fine whatever you say."
"Let me read now." I tell her.
"Okay mimi, see you soon. Bye, love you." With that we end the call.

I close down the applications on my phone when I see my instagram open and remember what was I doing this afternoon. Should I check her profile? To know a little and to be prepared before hand is better right?
If I know he has someone I wouldn't care so much right? But I stop myself from doing it because our relationship hasn't reached to a point where we have talked about our past. I should let him tell me if this person is someone important to him and if he doesn't that means its not something I should concern myself with.