This is super important

Okay you guys, I'm kinda sad right now. There are Somalis at the high school I go to who go to school in abayas and change into tank tops and shorts and STILL WEAR THE HIJAB.

To those who do it, please stop. You're making me feel so ashamed. What happened to being proud of our beliefs? I don't know if you know this, but that's not the point of wearing to hijab. It's to practice modesty, to please your Lord, and force people to judge you based on your intelligence and personality, not your looks. How is the scarf of any use if you're going to wear super tight shirts and leggings? 

They even ask me to keep it a secret from my mom so that she doesn't tell her mom. Sorry, but I put my mom before you. And for the record, my mom isn't one for gossip, and of course she won't tell her best friend that her daughter is showing off her cleavage as soon as she's turned away. 

So that's half the problem, but the other thing is, why are Somalis and blacks so against each other? Obviously I can't be accepted as a white, but even within my own race people make me uncomfortable. Is it because of our culture? That's a stupid reason. Africa is the most diverse continent in the world, so of course we're going to speak different, look different, and believe in different things. We are all african, so please stop making a rift. 

And then there's the Somalis that bleach their skin and try to be as white as possible. I mean, I get that you're insecure—hell, I'm super insecure—but don't be ashamed of who you are or what you look like! I'm not the sappy kind of person, so it takes a lot to say this right now—all of you are beautiful: african, european, latino, asian. It doesn't matter! Don't try to fit into society's established "norms", because being normal is overrated. Each culture is beautiful and exciting. I know you've heard it a million times already but it wouldn't be fun if everyone were the same. 

So be proud of who are and where you come from! And DON'T let ANYONE make you feel like you're inferior or insignificant, because you are! 

Salam/Peace y'all!