CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

When Cosima woke up, she was in the hospital section of Stark Tower. It took her a minute to remember what had happened, but because she was in Stark Tower, she assumed that the Avengers had won and Ultron had been defeated.

A doctor peered through the curtains, saw Cosima was awake and walked right in. "Cosima, is it?" he asked. He seemed nervous. Cosima thought it was from all the bad reputations she had gained for herself. 

"Yeah."

"So, you're awake earlier than we expected. Several broken ribs, nasty wound on your arm which was infected heavily and a few cuts and bruises here and there. Nothing that we couldn't fix."

"Good to hear. So, can I leave?"

"There's a lot of people who want to talk to you. They told me you can't leave until they do."

"That's ridiculous. I'm leaving." Cosima went to get up, but that's when she realised she was strapped to the hospital-style bed. They had even strapped her wings. "It was a precaution. They are quite lethal," the doctor said, and Cosima followed his eyes when he said 'they' - her wings.

"They're nothing to be afraid of. Come on, I need to speak to people. Let me out of these."

"It's against protocol." The doctor quickly left, leaving Cosima to evaluate her options. It looked like whoever strapped her here believed she was a threat, even though Cosima thought she had eliminated that when she fought with the Avengers.

But she had no time to ponder. Steve walked through the curtains. He smiled a little, glad to see her awake and doing well. 

"So, can you get me out of these?"

"Yes. I can. But I have to ask some questions first."

"What like?"

"For the new SHIELD. When it comes. To know we, the Avengers, and the government can trust you. To know how to take care of you when-" Steve motioned to his head. The ten words that controlled Cosima. How could she forget them.

"Ask away."

"What are the words that control you."

Cosima sighed. "Why do they need to know. Is it so they can control me?" Fear seized over Cosima. 

"It's to stop others from using it against you. If the others recognise these words, they can help stop the person from speaking them. It's here in paper." Steve handed Cosima a small book and turned over the pages. In writing, it stated exactly what Steve had said.

"To make sure I don't ... I'll say a different word for the tenth word. My eleventh word is the final word." Steve nodded in acknowledgement. Cosima continued. "Longing. Rusted. Seventeen. Daybreak. Furnace. Nine. Benign. Homecoming. One. Tenth. Freightcar." Cosima breathed a sigh of sadness more than relief of finishing the list.

"Thank you. I know how hard that is."

"You have no idea."

"And is there any ... way to snap you out of it."

"Knock me unconscious."

"There's no words which would bring you back."

"No."

"Okay. And the last one. You can think about it as long as you need. Would you be willing to become a full time Aveng-"

"-Yes." The chains unbuckled and Cosima was set free - an Avenger.

- T H E  E N D -

Well, was that the ending everyone hoped for?

I hope so.

The whole way through this book I tried to come up with an Avenger name for Cosima but nothing sprang to mind. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them in the comments.

Thanks goes to everyone who came here and voted or commented on this book

for every chapter. Seeing your dedication made me keep writing, and it is for 

that reason that there is a book in the first place.

I was going to stop this book, but thanks to some of you, you

pushed me to my limits and made me complete this amazing book which I am so proud of.

Thank you!

-K A T I E