CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Cosima held one of Wanda's arms and together they flew around the flying rock, taking down robots left, right and centre. Eventually, they reached the edge where they both heard something like a rocket launching. Both of them got ready for whatever attack was coming next. 

But there was none. Suddenly, the helicarrier appeared out of nowhere beside the floating rock. Both Cosima and Wanda were amazed. They both thought it had been destroyed by the government after SHIELD was found out to be a corrupt and untrustworthy organisation. They didn't think they'd ever see this again.

They flew down to where Pietro was standing. 

"Pretty neat, huh?" Pietro admitted.

"Sure is," Wanda replied. 

"No time for chit chat," Cap said, ruining the only free moment they had. "Let's load 'em up." A dozen little ships came out of the helicarrier, each meant for about 60-100 people to be seated on. 

"Look's like we've got some work to do," Cosima said smirking at the twins.

"Before we move off, Cosima, I just want to say sorry for everything I've done to you. I didn't know how much it might hurt yo-" Wanda began.

"Don't." Cosima said. "Let's reunite after this. Saving these people are more important than telling me how sorry you are for something I probably don't recall."

"Agreed."

"And me too. I'm sorry," Pietro chimed in.

"Did you listen to one thing I said?" Cosima asked, raising her eyebrow at him.

"Probably not."

The three of them went separate directions to get people safely to the ships for the helicarrier. While it wasn't difficult to led the civilians to the ships, it was difficult to keep the rogue robots away from them. So nose dived into groups of civilians, but Cosima stopped this with raising her wing to the robot. A sickly noise echoed in everyone's ears as parts of vibranium from these robots ran off Cosima's own vibranium. These robots seemed to be made of tougher stuff than the team had originally thought.

Most of the ships were full, but more and more robots were trying to overthrow the ships on their course to the helicarrier. Cosima had to abandon helping people across to help catch falling civilians from the ships. It was a daunting task, especially as she couldn't miss a single person. A few times she had to help Stark lift a few ships to the helicarrier as they had lost an engine or two because of the robots. It was a difficult business, but Cosima had never felt so alive.

"We're out of time. They're coming for the core," Thor announced on the intercom. 

"Avengers. Time to work for a living," Stark said.

All at once, each of the Avengers made their way to the church in the centre of Sokovia. Robots started pouring into it, attempting to reach and touch the vibranium looking device in the centre. Cosima didn't know what it did, but she was sure she'd find out. Having nothing to defend herself or the vibranium podium with, she lifted a piece of a destroyed robot and held it in her hand. It felt light, but also heavy and strong. She swung it. It felt good. She took it from the robot and held if defensively. The metal in her hand seemed to be vibranium, and with her wings made of the same substance, she would be a formidable opponent to any robot trying to get to the podium. 

After a minute or two, the robots stopped coming, and Ultron could be seen outside of the church. He looked in peak condition and ready for a fight. He was dripping malice from his mouth and his murderous appearance made Cosima shiver a little. She saw Wanda do a double take. This body for Ultron was made from pure vibranium, meaning he was strong and would be hard to take down from a few punches. He had toughened himself up, but Cosima thought the Hulk would still tear through him easily enough. 

"Is that the best you can do!" Thor shouted.

Ultron held up his hand. Hundreds of robots poured out of the surrounding buildings, their virtual faces leaving an eerie feeling of the deserted town around them. Cosima thought the robots moved like zombies from a video game she suddenly remembered from an unwanted flashback. The memory stung a little, causing her to step back slightly. Pietro looked at her to make sure she was okay. The robots stood under Ultron, waiting for his sole and infinite command.

"Did you have to ask?" Cap directed at Thor, looking pained from all the intense fighting that he'd been involved in the past half an hour.

"This, is the best I can do. This is exactly what I wanted," Ultron said, going into a short speech. "All of you, against all of me. How can you possibly hope to stop me?" 

Tony looked at Cap. "Well, it's like the old man said. Together."

Hulk roared.

The robots sprinted towards the Avengers.

Chaos ensued.