25 Love of my life

Things didn't exactly go as I planned the next 2 weeks.

Steve like he said, attended to all my work in clinic which was great but then my mother got all suspicious. Only twice I was able to go out during this time, that is also with Jen after pleading, begging, crying and finally resolving to tantrums.

Over this two weeks, I saw a very different personality of Steve. One : When he sets his mind, no one can change it, neither myself. Two : He loves me completely and unconditionally. Three : I never want to provoke his anger  which didn't end well which I realize after I met Farhan.

Couple of days after the fire in the clinic Farhan wanted to come over and see if I am alright. Steve was adamant in saying Farhan has no business meeting me. I get it, he likes Farhan as much as I like Sophia. But my circumstances are different. I am yet to give Farhan an explanation as to why I don't answer his calls anymore, and most of all, why I cant marry him.

So I decided to meet Farhan and Jen over dinner, which I thought would defuse the situation. Jen is after all my partner in crime. Steve was adamant saying he will come instead of Jen. I didn't like it as I believed I need to at least give Farhan a little courtesy. well, courtesy it was.

Half way down the dinner, before I could come to explain Farhan about why I cant marry him, Steven walked right in to us, furious. Farhan thought he was going to harm me, and was quick to come to my rescue. Next thing I know is Farhan is on the floor, and Steve dragged me out of the restaurant leaving Jen to explain Farhan what's going on.

And Steve remained angry till today. No matter what I say or do, he is still cross with me. A lesson learned. He made it very clear or more than clear that I am his and next time I meet a man without him, he will shoot him down. And I got the message. I hope this obsession will wean off with time. But being let down by everyone he once cared for including Laila, I can see his pain. So I decided to oblige until I can latter make him come to terms with it. I am a psychologist and that is exactly what I am good at.

However, Farhan was beyond angry with the situation and spelled everything to my mom. I could handle Steve but I cant handle mom or my step family.

"So, a kafir walks your way and you dump a nice guy for him. At least he is a Muslim. This man is going to hell and you are going with him" that was mom.

"He is a Christian , someone who follows one of the books of Allah subhana wa ta'la. So stop calling him names" I said really annoyed. This kafir term is really bothering me.

"Just because you think you know it all doesn't make things different. What did I do to deserve such humiliation from own child when all my step daughters done was make me proud" typical mothers drama.

"Well mom, they married for money and I am marrying for love" I told her sarcastically praying she would end this conversation.

"This will not end well for you. That man will give you a child and leave you. That's what they all do"

"I am going to my room" I told her and got up from the living room, where I was reading a book to go to my room. Steve said by next week my clinic will be done, and then I can thankfully get back to work. Idling isn't something I am capable of, no matter how much I try.

As soon as I entered my room I got a call from Steve.

"Thank you for making my life a living hell. Now I am really thinking if you are worth all these trouble especially my mothers nagging" I told Steve quite angry.

"I love you too darling" he said teasing, and wow. All it took to melt that hard exterior was to throw some tantrums. Point noted.

"When can I meet you?" I asked him. I need to see him.

"Shall we meet down your beach house today around 8 at night babe? I don't want to take you further out. The fire brigade said the incident at the clinic is sabotage. They are looking for evidence. Until that sort out, I don't want you going anywhere alone. I will call you, and come down. We can go in my car" he said firmly knowing I have a mind of my own when it comes to following orders.

I waited for Steve's call at 8, and then went down. Mom was fussing so much when I left. Things are getting difficult for me. When I saw Steve however in his full coat and suit, Mashallah looking exactly like how I dream of his every night, I forgot all my worries. I have become a blushing teenager lately and I don't know if it is a good thing or not.

Before I could say anything, he placed a kiss on my lips, and opened the car door. I was praying no one at home is looking through the window because I am sure they could have just seen what went on.

"I missed you" he said in the car.

"Missed you too darling" I said while opening the car door and the next thing I know is piercing pain in my rib after something which sounded like a gun shot. The next thing I know is, I collapsed on Steve's arms, Allah, let me not die.

*****************************************************

When I saw Sarah coming in with her black cloak which she calls abaya, and a green headscarf, I thought I am the luckiest man on earth. She is beautiful. She is intelligent and smart. Everything a man would want in a woman. Kind and compassionate. And most of all, loves me unconditionally. I had to kiss her when she walked to me.

"I missed you" I told her taking her to the car.

"Missed you darling" she said caressing my face, and the next thing I heard before she got in to the car is an explosion which sounded like a gun shot, the love of my life collapsed in my hand, bleeding.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I shouted. People quickly gathered to the place and I could see Sarah's mother running towards us shouting.

"Call the damned ambulance" I ordered someone who was there. My mind isn't working. May be I should drive.

"Leave her alone, you kafir. We will take care of her" her mother came charging at me.

"She is mine, and mine alone. Anyone who can help?" I shouted at the crowed who gathered in. A man then stepped in.

"I am a doctor" and he did a quick check, and told me "Drive"

Sarah's mother, myself and the doc all drove and took Sarah to the near by hospital. Sarah was taken to the ICU, while I collapsed.