Chapter Twelve: The Truth about My Blood

Start from the beginning

            They said when you kiss with the right one, there will be fireworks and then sparks will fly (well according to Taylor Swift, there was). Some say, there will be music. Some say, you will forget everyone—only you and that person exists. And some say, you will know that the person is the right one if you feel a tingling inside your chest. No, not a bad tingling, but rather a nice tingling.

            Unfortunately, I can’t feel anything of these things when I kiss Jasper. Instead, I only feel his tongue on mine and his hands all over my body. There were no fireworks or sparks. No music or the time when you forget everything else. And most of all, there was no tingling inside my heart.

            Sure, Jasper is a good kisser. But I really think he’s not the right one for me. We just have too much in common; it’s like dating my own self.

            “Melanie, are you listening?”

            Jasper’s voice snapped me back to reality and then I smiled sheepishly up at him. “No.”

            “What are you thinking about?”

            “I wasn’t—.”

            “Yes, you were. You had that faraway look in your eyes,” he said, looking at me worriedly. “Are you all right?”

            “I’m fine.”

            “Earlier, you said you weren’t feeling well.”

            “Well, I’m fine now,” I suddenly snapped at him. “Why can’t you just leave me alone, Jasper? Do you really need to know everything?”

            He didn’t say anything and I bit my lip, regretting the things I said. Crap, I just hurt the feelings of my best friend. I’m such a good person, am I not?

            I stopped walking and he stopped, too. I sighed and faced him. “I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t mean to snap at you. It’s just… really annoying. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate you worrying about me but I’m fine, seriously. I don’t want you to worry about me; I can take care of myself.”

            He cupped my face with the both of his hands. “I’m sorry. I was just… I want you to be safe.”

            I didn’t say anything but kissed his lips. He kissed me back, and nope, there were no fireworks or anything else. I pulled back from the kiss, feeling a little bit guilty. I know I’m making Jasper love me even more and it made me feel so guilty when the time comes when I have to reject him.

            “Please, no PDA,” a voice said.

            The both of us turned and there was Garret, anger very, very evident in his eyes. I can practically see the red aura glowing all around him. Obviously, Jasper didn’t see this since he smirked. “Sorry about that. Just having a good time with my girlfriend.”

            I frowned at him. “I’m not your girlfriend.”

            “Well, in a way, you are,” Jasper said, shrugging. I sighed—well, he’s right.          

            Garret just glared at us then continued walking to the Biology room. I sighed and followed him, Jasper beside me, his arm around my shoulders.

            When we got to the Biology room, Ms. Patterson was already there. Walking quickly, Jasper and I made our way to our seats at the back. I ignored Garret’s glare as I sat on the seat beside him. When the bell rang for the last time, signaling for the start of the class, Ms. Patterson stood up and raised an eyebrow at me. “Care to explain where have you been, Ms. Meyer?”