The Revolt

The red monster slipped out the skylight, after wasting time looking at me in shock. She climbed out onto the roof and I see the guards run outside.

I turned around. The people in the mall, including my friends, were unaffected. They hadn't seen her, but I had. On an impulse I run outside after the guards.

I creep along the edge of the building, behind the bushes. I'm about to round the corner when I see her run across the parking lot, two of the four guards still chasing her. Peeking around the corner, I saw what I was dreading. The other two guards were lying dead on the ground. Their throats were torn out as if by an animal, and their weapons were scattered on the ground.

Somewhere in the back of my mind off knew I should go back inside, forget what I had seen, and carry on with my everyday life, but the part of me that controlled my actions obviously didn't agree.

I stooped to the ground, trying to ignore the mangled flesh and puddles of blood surrounding me, and picked up one of the guns. I turned around slowly to face where the guards were still fighting with the girl. I had seen this in a history movie once. The people would use these things to kill other people. They'd aim for the heart or the head, and pull the trigger. The loud sound that accompanied it always signaled death.

Killing people is wrong, but this isn't a person, it's a monster. I pulled the trigger. The noise was deafening and the knockback threw me to the ground. I sat up before unconsciousness could take over. The girl-- monster-- wasn't dead, but it was definitely injured even more.It limped towards the woods quietly, taking advantage of the guards' momentary disbelief.

They recovered quickly enough, and ran up the hill in pursuit of the monster. But somehow I knew they wouldn't find her.

********

I sat in my bedroom, typing in search terms on the screen of my desk. It could turn on when I needed it an off when I didn't. I could also swipe up to project the screen onto the wall, and left to make a screen in the air.

Monsters

Restricted.

History of Monsters

Restricted.

I tried a dozen other search terms, but they all turned up Deleted or Restricted. I tried one last term.

The Revolt.

One result came up.

"The Revolt: Fact or Fiction"

I tentatively clicked on it. A full page article came up, complete with an old video link from 2088-- fifty years ago. I skimmed the article, then opened the video. The file was corrupted, that much was obvious. About thirty seconds of indecipherable sounds and images passed before the quality cleared up. The first thing I noticed were the bodies strewn all over the ground. They were everywhere, piles of them were ten high and growing.

At first I couldnt figure out what was causing them to fall, dead, to the ground. Then I saw the faint blurs of color in the otherwise sepia landscape. They moved with blinding speed and agility, hacking their way through the soldiers.

Red, blue, green, purple. Silver, gold. All blurs spinning beautifully through the carnage as if taking part in a lovely but gruesome dance. The creatures seemed to be winning, but then they started dropping. One by one, then in quick succession. I scanned the screen watching as they died, and looking for who --or what-- was responsible. The screen darkened, and cut out. The video was over.

"Dammit." I whispered into the silence of my room.

"Cassadee, time for dinner!" my mother called from downstairs.

"Mom you know you don't actually have to cook the food yourself."

"Of course I do, but there's just something about doing it myself that I just-- never mind, sit down and eat." she flashed a smile and returned to slicing whatever we were going to be eating.

After dinner I excused myself back up to my room. I changed the setting on my shower to rainforest, and immediately the light rain and mist began. I stepped in and stood under the soft water. When I finally emerged an hour later, it was already dark. I opened my bedroom door and listened. Nothing. My parents and brother must be asleep.

I dressed quickly in black leggings and an old t-shirt. I was settling into my bed when I heard a knock at my window and saw a flash of color climb up the tree.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey!! So new chapter. hope you like it.

Above: picture of Cassadee

anyways.

vote

comment

add

xxHannah