I'm Not Supposed To See

We drove down the road in silence.

Well, I did.

Everyone else was talking away. My little incident seemed to have blown over, at least in our group. Amanda was chattering on with Kaylie about what they were going to buy at the mall.

I sat on my side, with my face pressed against the glass, silently letting monsters overtake my thoughts.

I just couldn't get those eyes out of my head. They looked like a normal person's. They weren't reptilian slits or blood red. They weren't anything like we'd been led to believe.

I mean, I guess they could have lied to us. We only talked about them briefly in school, and even then they only gave us a vague description and told us to stay away. I guess they assumed we'd never see one. Maybe most people don't.

The thing that confuses me the most is that no one else seemed to have seen what I did.

Am I going crazy?

No. The government wouldn't allow me too. We are in inoculated against any mental disorders at a very young age. It prevents a lot of crimes and deaths.

I count down from ten in my head, calming myself down. The next thing I know we're pulling into the mall parking lot. I smile a little. Perhaps some retail therapy is exactly what I need.

We stop in a million different stores and come out with even more bags. We are walking to the food court when I see it.

It's lean and muscular, and it moves through the steel beams crisscrossing the ceiling with ease. It turns around and I get a look at its face.

It's female, with large brown eyes, and a mischievous curve to her mouth. She has long dark hair tied back into a ponytail. She'd look a lot like me if it weren't for the fact that she was red.

I turn around to see the guards behind me. They have their guns trained on the monster. She bares her fangs and leaps higher into the beams, catching herself with her hands and vaulting higher. One of the guards tries his luck with a shot, but she evades it easily. There's more gunfire, and I look around desperately at the people million around the mall.

How are they not noticing this?

I hear a scream and look up to see the monster, clutching her wounded arm, climb out the skylight.

Before she slips out, she reaches up to pull the window back into place. She looks down and her eyes meet mine. They register her shock immediately. She knows I can see her. Her expression says it all.

I am not supposed to see her.

----------------------------------------------

Vote

Comment

xxHannah 😘