Through the Children's Eyes

"Cass!" Amanda called.

"What's up?" I yelled back.

"Oh, you know. The usual." She said giggling.

I flipped my tawny locks over my shoulder, and heaved my book bag over my arm. The walk to school wasn't far; then again, it wasn't for anyone. The maximum walk time was five minutes and thirty seconds. That's how it had to be. No one used cars anymore, not like people did when the environment was dying.

Back then, people were selfish, needy, the economy was in shambles, and the government was on the verge of being overthrown. After the Revolt, the people who lead us now fixed everything. Their scientists discovered everything wrong with our world was because of the fact that, as children, we pick up on the violent, irresponsible ways of the world, much more than we do as teenagers or adults. The solution then-get rid of the children.

The government locked up the country's children until they met certain criteria. No one remembers their time in the Closets, that's a part of our perfect world-no bad memories.

"Miss Rogers, if you please." the teacher gestured to the problem on the board.

"Oh, right." I walked up to the board slowly.

36e +5x-4=412 Solve.

I snuck a quick glance at the clock. There were still fifteen minutes left in class. There was no way I could stall that long.

"Ms. Jarvis! Look outside!" one of the kids yelled.

Everyone rushed to the windows.

"Cass! You've got to see this!" Amanda said, " There's a guy in a green bodysuit messing with a security guard!"

That wasn't what I saw. I saw a man, but it wasn't a green bodysuit he was wearing, it was something else entirely.

What was even stranger was that the security guard had a gun. No one ever used guns, not since the Revolt.

I watch in horror as the green man crawled up the trellis to leap down onto its prey. Only when it bared it's fangs and claws did I realize what I was looking at.

A monster.

A gunshot went off. I glanced around, but my classmates were completely oblivious. No one else heard.

A monster. They were the things of legends, and now one was dead, right outside the window.

I screamed.

----------------------------------------------

Ok so new book. I hope you like it! It's a little dystopian-esque so yeah.

Tell me what you think!

xxHannah😘