iii. The Beginning

Start from the beginning

"It's a trick!" Clint groaned as they got onto the subject of Mjolnir -- Thor's hammer.

"Oh no, it's much more than that." Thor laughed as he leaned over Carter to pour some of his drink into Steve's glass.

"Ah, whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power ." Clint mocked knowingly, "Whatever man it's a trick!"

"Please," Thor laughed again, gesturing to his hammer on the table, "Be my guest." 

Everyone including Carter, who had managed to cross her legs to sit more comfortably between the large species either side of her, looked to Clint, seeing if he'd take the chance.

"C'mon." Tony ushered him towards the hammer mockingly.

"Really?" He questioned boredly as his gaze settled on Thor.

"Yes." Thor spoke enthusiastically.

The Marksman scoffed and got up from his seat on the floor.

"Oh this is gonna be beautiful." Rhodey mocked from the couch to Carters right.

"Now Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up." Tony smirked as Clint sent him a glare, Carter hiding the laugh bubbling up inside her as she caught onto her fathers inuendo.

"Come on Ken Doll, show the old man what the weak and crippled can do." Carter laughed as Tony tossed a scrunched up napkin at her.

The others all laughed at her joke as Clint stood before Mjolnir.

"Y'know I've seen this before right?" He eyed Thor who nodded with a knowing grin.

Clint turned and grunted as he tried to lift the hammer failing miserably.

Eventually giving up with a soft laugh he backed away from the hammer and towards his spot "I still don't know how you do it." He chuckled.

"Smell the silent judgement?" Tony mocked.

"Please, Stark -- " Clint motioned between the billionaire and the hammer "By all means." He replied.

And with that, all the guys took their turns trying to lift the hammer. After Tony failed he went to retrieve one of his gauntlets.

Rhodey got one of his own and they tried pulling together. "Are you even pulling?" Rhodey shouted over the loud whiring of the machinery.

"Are you even on my team?" Tony shot back as they glared at one another.

"Just represent, pull!" They both groaned before eventually giving up.

Next up was Bruce who made a show of yelling as he stood on the table and pulled with all his might.

He eventually faked a Hulk out which just had the rest of them sitting back in silence giving him patronising smiles.

Steve stood next rolling up his sleeves.

There were many hoots and hollers from the team as he walked over to the hammer, the loudest being Carter as she used her thumb and forefinger to wolf whistle resulting in a deep blush appearing on the super soldiers cheeks as Carter and Thor laughed.

"Go ahead Steve no pressure." Tony mumbled unhappily as he sent his daughter a disbelieving look.

As Steve gripped Mjolnir and pulled Carter wondered if she was imagining things when she saw the hammer move slightly.

Thor tensing by her side and the flash of fear in his eyes told her she wasn't seeing things as she leaned forward in wonder.

Steve had been able to move the hammer but not lift it. Now Carter was interested.